SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SAAB 9-3 Convertible 2.0t
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

After multiple trips to the local SAAB Workshop, I still keep geeting the check engine light for Code P1110 (#11). I have just ended ut erasing the code everytime with a cheap code reader (That does not know the descritpion of any SAAB engine codes) to remove the engine light. The code appears only after 1-2 hours driving or if I am pressing hard on the gas for maximun acceleration.

I'm aware that is has a correlation with the turbo, but does anyone who knows what this code is descriped as or ways to fix it?
The workshop has previously replaced the old turbo with a new one. As it was destroyed due lack of oil (Oil was never checked nor filled by previous owner).
I myself have replaced the boost pressure valve with a brand new one form SAAB Original. Other than that, everything else in the engine bay is as is from when I bought the car.

Thanks for the replies in advance! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's either the bypass valve or the solenoid that controls the bypass valve. I've personally never had the solenoid fail... it's always been the bypass valve.
Really? That's it?
I thought it was a hell of a bug to find.
After searching abit on the ol' google. I understand what part you are talking about. It does seem abit worn on mine, I remove the hoses sticking out and it was wet, looking like oil. IDK if it's the hose meant for oil transfder or something. But I looked "wet" just like the old boost pressure valve.

I also found this video:

Luckily for me had the same engine code issue and showed how to fix it: It's for an 9-5 the design of the engine look the same as for my 9-3. Perhaps the 9-5 and 9-3 share the same gasoline/benzin engine?

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Even still, the 2.0 and 2.3 are like 90% the same externally. The bypass valve and solenoid are the same regardless.

The P1110 code is - in my experience - usually caused by a ruptured bypass valve. The vacuum hose attached to it will no longer hold vacuum, so the bypass valve can't open.

Nothing there should be wet. The vacuum hose is for vacuum; the bypass valve controls air flow. No oil or fuel or anything there. If the bypass valve is oily, probably your PCV system is damaged or maybe the turbo is failing and sending a bunch of oil through the intake.

·
Registered
11,285 Posts
You can test the bypass valve by plugging a shot bit of tubing to the nipple and sucking on it. Then let go the vacuum, and the valve should pop back with an audible pop. If the valve does not hold vacuum, or you don't get the pop, then the valve is definitely bad.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The workshop has previously replaced the old turbo with a new one. As it was destroyed due lack of oil (Oil was never checked nor filled by previous owner).
This is concerning. Are you sure it was due to a lack of oil and not sludge plugging up the pickup tube for the oil pump? If it was sludge, you still have a problem and may lose another turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is concerning. Are you sure it was due to a lack of oil and not sludge plugging up the pickup tube for the oil pump? If it was sludge, you still have a problem and may lose another turbo.
Right now I'm not even sure what to believe. The car has been in the family for the last 7 years. But clearly this car should never have been bought in the state that i was by me. I'm gonna contact the local saab workshop and have them take a look at it + all of the other troubling things about the engine. If the cost is "low" then i may keep the car. But for now I'm already planning my future for a new, more reliable car.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
No car will remain reliable without proper maintenance - the question probably becomes whether fixing what you've got will cost more or less than replacing it.

Based on everything you've said thus far, what I would probably recommend is:

1. Have the shop remove the oil pan, look for sludge. If there's a problem, that would be when you know to cut bait
2. Have the shop remove the oil feed for the turbo and either clean it or replace it
3. Install the PCV kit Mimmi linked above

Probably at that point, there's little reason to think the car won't continue on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm sure that it was due to lack of oil. First was the oil light becoming alight during sharp turns. And then when we went to the SAAB Workshop due to the oil light. the mechanic checked the oil level, he found more or less no oil on the level.

The reasons for why there was so next to no oil to be leveled. that I can not give a solid reason for. The oil pan plug was rounded and it was leaking from the gasket on the oil pan plug. Maybe the then current hoses to the oil-trap was leaking oil out rather than flowing it to the oil trap. these hoses were replaced by the shop from 6 motnhs ago

That visit to the workshop ended up with me having to replace the thermostat with a new one, as the old one was broken.

The second and third visit not long after concluded with that the old tubo was worn out and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Hey Guys!

The issues was in fact a worn out bypass valve. I found one at a scrapyard for cheap to try out and it fixed the issue! No more engine codes on my car. I have bought a completely new one from speeparts.se but have yet to replace the one i bought for the scrapyard since that one is still being a champ and working hard and well for me!

Thank you all for the help and tips!

·
Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
597 Posts
Glad to hear. I'd still update the pcv system if not already. Also if the PO let it get low or neglected oil changes make sure the bearings, rings were'nt harmed as a result. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts