SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search isnt working today so I thought I would enquire anyway!

My Engine Check Light has come on over the weekend and has gone off this morning.

What are the possible faults the Tech II tool can diagnose from an engine check light? :roll:

Fuelling, exhaust...???

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Erik, there are literally hundreds of different codes that can be read as a result of a CEL. The fault code will be stored, so if you get a repeat of the check light they can confirm its the same fault. Did you buy from a Saab dealer or a private garage/owner?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought from a Used car dealer, Strange circumstances when it comes on. I went for the longest test drive I have ever done - 56 miles!! Took it up to speed on motorway and got stuck in traffic for a good 20 mins to see if any problems. None. FPut 20ltrs of 95 ron Total Petrol in and light was on by the time I got home. Went to shell and filled with Optimax, light went off. Went for drive in evening, light came back on and went back off this morning?? The car performs as normal, I can set Cruise control and all turbo functions work...

BTW it has a 28 day waaranty and I intend on getting everything ironed out before this ends!! Going to Bay Horse Saab tomorrow for Diagnostic!

·
Registered
418 Posts
One possibility may be the DIC - Direct Ignition Cassette. I was getting frequent Check Engine Lights on my 9-5 Aero that would go away after a bit, and then come back later. This went on for weeks, and I pre-emptively replaced it before it stranded me in traffic. As far as I could tell, the car was running perfectly in the meantime.

The codes I was getting were "Misfire in Cylinder 1&2" or in Cylinder 3&4, if that helps. The new DIC solved the problem.

Anyone buying a used 9-5 should think about replacing the DIC, given their failure rate, IMHO. It's $300-400, depending on whether you do it yourself or not.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If you don't tighten the petrol cap to a couple of clicks it will throw a CEL!! Just remember to fully tighten in future. :cheesy:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did notice the little label telling me that and it used to do the same on my last car - a porsche, which has the same fuel cap related dilemma!. I made sure last time I filled up to click it round so much so that other people filling up were looking at me funny due to the noise I was making,

Update Just been out for lunch and it has now gone off. What the hell is happening. Make your mind up car - are you broken or not?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I say fill it up one more time with good, 98 ron fuel. If that doesn't fix it then take it back to the dealer. How miles are on it? It might be DI time. I have 68K on mine, and while it hasn't caused me even the slightess grieve I just bought a used one to throw in the trunk. $100 for a "supposed" 30K DI, ebay is great. :cheesy:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It has just done 100k and the engine check light is still off driving home from work. I am maybe being paranoid as the last time this happened on my porsche I had to replace 6 coil packs(similar to DI cassette) and they cost £150 GBP each!!

I haven't noticed any drop in performance so will fill up again with Optimax and give it a good run as I presume it has been sat for 3 months since the last owner traded it in for a new Aero. Either way its going to get checked this week at Bay Horse Saab as I am under a 28 day warranty and I want to find as much out as I can! So they can pay for it!:cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bit of an update on this, have been to main dealer this morning who diagnosed the engine check light with error P1334, which is misfire in cylinder 3/4. He immediately presummed I would be happy to pay £300+ for a DI cassette even though the engine check light went off earlier this week,

Could the problem be related to grade of Fuel, as filled up with Total 95 RON to start with and the light was coming on and off every hour! Since I filled with Optimax 98RON on Sunday evening the light has stayed off all week. The car is under 1 months warranty should I try and claim this as being a mechanical failure or will be it be covered under wear and tear?

Could it be the spark plugs as I dont think they have been changed on the last service when they should have been?

Or should I forget about it and use the correct grade fuel??

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Ok thats good, so we have some clues!

Firstly I would definately change the plugs, get them ordered from PFS you'll have them in no time!

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=77

Secondly , yes use decent fuel, no need for optiwotzit, most of the supermarkets do a 97 or 98 ron fuel ;)

Thridly if it is the DI, I would get one and keep yours as a emergency spare, but of course buying online will almost halve the dealer cost, and its easy DIY, ten minutes tops! :p

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=203

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris 9-5 Thanks again pal!

Am i right in thinking that for a single 9-5 aero spark plug it is £10 each! when the normal 9-5 spark plug is £1.60 each?

Gees I was paying £4 for Porsche Spark plugs and I thought I would be econimising buying a 9-5!!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
There has been loads of discussions on here about the plugs, I would recommend the ones I linked to for all models, they just need changing more frequently, say every 6-8,000 miles.

Kermit, Finn and Myself use these plugs are we are all tuned in excess of the Aero power for that year's model and we all use the standar plugs (7's).

Particluarly as we dont know if this is the problem, I'd put in the cheap ones (£1.89 each) ;)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
And get your fuel in Sainsburys, the Super Unleaded 97RON fuel is only 1p more a litre than standard and sometimes the same price. :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got onto the company who I bought from, I tried to sound ultra technical like I knew exactly what was at fault and they have agreed to replace the DI Cassette F.O.C !! They have ordered it direct from Saab and are fitting it Monday!

Job Done, if its not that, well at least it has been done!!:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Erik you should still change the plugs pal ;)

G

·
Eric, try and get them to give you the old one. Always useful as a temporary spare. Whilst your new one SHOULD last a very long time you just never know.. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts