SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1989 900S

just got the car on the road a week ago, it ran just fine for a few days (i was babying it because it hadnt been run for 3 years by the previous owner)

so i have run it in, and started getting a little more on the throttle now that it feels ok and here is the problem...

2 days ago, 2,3, and 4th gear over 4k rpms it feel like its stuttering and wont accelerate until i shift up and bring the revs back down

last night and today, almost any application of throttle over 2.5krpms bogs the engine down to the point where it actually slows down, but doesnt stall. i use less throttle and it keeps accelerating (slowly obviously :lol:). i am thinking timing, and am going out to check it right now.

i put a new fuel tank in as i was refurbing it, along with a new fuel pump, and fuel filter. the plugs are brand new (going to check them to see if im running rich) along with the dizzy cap and the wires.

the weirdest part is that it downshifts happily and revs with no problem at all when there is no load on the engine (clutch in or neutral)

could the timing be retarded too much or not be advancing properly.

any suggestions appreciated

afterthoughts...new air filter, and the ECU should be fine, i was using it in a different car until a month ago with no problems. the 02 sensor is new as well. lastly it seems to get worse once it gets to operating temp

update: it now has started pouring about a quart of oil a minute out the oil pressure sender...i cant connect the dots here :lol::eek: gonna replace it with an extra and see what happens...that just doesnt make any sense...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok new oil temp sender in...i dont know how/why the hell that happened but its fixed now...the original problem remains the same.

all the spark plugs have a black-not gray- coating on them...which means im running too rich. that means its ignition...not fueling. i dont understand...i was under the assumption that EZK controlled the timing on S's, and that the distributor was just empty and connected to the exhast camshaft. i never have needed to adjust timing on an S...only my turbos.

ideas anyone...?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Check the timing anyway, maybe you have the dizzy so far out it can't go right ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i replaced the EZK control unit with an extra one i had laying around to no avail. so what do i have left to check...the coil (which has an integrated amplifier since its an 89), the hall sensor, and the ignition control unit?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
900t said:
Check the timing anyway, maybe you have the dizzy so far out it can't go right ;)
it just baffles me because it was running great 3 days ago, and the dizzy is locked down by that plate and bolt

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so timing is 14 degrees...like it should be. the hall sensor and coil are out of the question or the car wouldnt run...anybody have different ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't have any experience with an S, but your problem does sound like timing. I'd check it and go from there.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i did some reading, and made the realization that the dizzy was empty, non-adjustable, and that ezk controlled the timing...and that it was at 14 degrees like it was supposed to be.

now im wondering if the cat is clogged. it has 2.1 headers & Downpipe which are next to new, and a new turbo exhaust from the cat back. the cat was used, although i thought it was newish...but i could be wrong...could a clogged cat account for this? my biggest question is why would it run rich because of this?...maybe because its having a harder time clearing the chamber of used mix?

i think im going to drop the cat out and run it with only headers and dp and see if its any better...although that might not be till tomorrow.

I know the intake is clear...it has a K&N filter with less than 20k miles on it, a clean airbox, and a pre 90 turbo air snorkel that draws air from the wheelwell.

i am running out of things to check... :confused:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still not fixed...i have tried without cat, replaced the o2 sensor, tried another ecu, and tried a new fuel rail/regulator/injectors and the problem still exists...i am completely out of ideas and the saab parts counter guy i know is too...anybody have any clue? I have also tried a new AMM and EZK box.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Well

Ignition issues usually are a function of revs, if it can't sustain a particular load then probably a fuel issue. Filter good? Pump good? Does it pump enough? Spark plug gap is correct?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a thing that plugs in between the plug and the plug wire to show spark...it gets it, and it advances right for each cyl. it is flowing 30oz. in 30 seconds at the rail or whatever it was bently said. and the pump is new as is the filter...i am so confused :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts