SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this a strange one,

I have a 2.0l 1996 Saab 900s non turbo.

When I'm driving on a hot day (35 - 40°c) and the AC is on full, after a while (say about 45-60mins) the engine starts to bog down under acceleration. Kinda feels like it looses power at certain points of the power band :/

I've tested this on a cold day and no issue, and if I run the AC on 3 instead of 4 it's fine aswell.

I know I can drive it without causing the issue but I'm concerned this could lead to a larger problem :/ does anybody have any idea what could cause this?

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
Possibly heat related? Knock resulting in the ECM pulling timing? When was the last service? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last service was a week ago and it near 300,00kms (like 185,000 miles I think). I did notice today that the 3 pin connector for my distributor was unplugged, I'm not sure how long it's been like that for, just plugged it back in today. Could that have caused an issue?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Spike , I dont know this model , so not sure what this plug is for .
In older 900's that plug is part of the ignition circuit and is reading the hall sensor.
In your car I would have believed you would have a Crank position sensor , so not reading the signal from the distributor , If your car did have a hall sensor in the distributor , then the disconnection of that plug would result in No spark , and it would not run at all.

The fact that the change can occur based on the Fan speed for the air con has me suspecting voltage drop under heavy load and makes me question the voltage output from the altenator .
Have you had any battery issues ? Insufficient voltage can create issues with ECM systems .
Getting the voltage readings at the battery could be a start , indicicating whether the alternator is getting tired .
I assume you do not have any issues re the car overheating in the conditions you describe.
As said I dont know your model and I do not know the function of the plug you mention on the Distributor .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm not sure what the plug is for either, can confirm the car runs and no cell light appears with it unplugged though.

No battery issues but I'll check my alternator voltage and post results soon

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
I don't know much about your model - but after having lots of air-con issues lately - I suggest you look at the relays and fuses associated with your aircon. - Could be a easy check to rule them out.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
There is definitely a cam sensor in the distributor - the car will not run properly without it. Was it actually just dangling there, or not fully engaged?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is definitely a cam sensor in the distributor - the car will not run properly without it. Was it actually just dangling there, or not fully engaged?
It was fully unplugged and dangling. Any chance it was running in some kind of limp mode?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know much about your model - but after having lots of air-con issues lately - I suggest you look at the relays and fuses associated with your aircon. - Could be a easy check to rule them out.
Thanks, I'll check them out!

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts
Motronic will adjust ignition timing based on knock or a perceived fault / excess temperature. Without a doubt the cam sensor connection on the distributor should be plugged in. It is common for the distributor to leak oil into the plug which can (sometimes) cause an issue. Do you have CEL?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts