SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I'll fess up. Putting the transmission back in after a clutch replacement, and I heard the dreaded "tink" of cracking cast aluminum. In spite of being careful, and having two bolts in and lined up, and a jack under the transmission, the alignment pin on the front bumper side of the motor engine block cover (the rear seal plate) wasn't seating, and that part of that plate cracked. My fault, I looked for obstructions while gently pulling the transmission and engine together. But I missed that one (its easily visible if you are in the right place, but I missed it in my up and down top and bottom checks. I should have had a helper out there for that bit helping me look for issues.

Anyway, whats done is done. This is a motor with like 240k miles on it, so it's seen things. Bad things. That bushing may not have been aligned, or it might have had 20 years of cruft and corrosion. Whatever, it did seat with a tap from a dead blow hammer, but that won't "un-crack it".

Apparently, it is Saab SKU 55557715, and fits a lot of years, so probably easy enough to get from a scrap yard. And I can't believe I am the only one that ever did this, that thing just hangs out there asking for trouble.

I pulled up images of it online, and it looks like the likely place it cracked may actually be outboard of he sealing / gasket surface. Hard to tell from the picture, and I don't know how bad the crack is for that matter.

I'll find out shortly, I'm going to put the car the rest of the way together. I put a bolt through the lifting point hole that was there to stabilize it, and it didn't fall off, so it's not all the way cracked. And it isn't structural, it sandwiches between the engine and transmission, and all the "big bolty" parts have big bolts through them and are fine. So its just that front upper corner of the thing. Worst case, the rear main seal will leak, and I'll have to pull the transmission again, and maybe replace the clutch fiber plate. Annoying, but not the end of the world, and the car can limp around if its a slow leak until I scare up the part.

Anyway... I'll post an update on "leaks or not". And if anyone has a spare engine with that part, let me know what you want for that plate and I'll put it on a shelf if the car survives long enough for another clutch or if that rear seal does start to leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The crack was right below the big nub at about 3:00 oclock on that photo. It was about 1/4" offset when I spotted it and tapped it in to place. So it depends if the crack went straight to the mainseal, or more up. If it went up, it doesn't look like that is a sealing surface.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found one on ebay for $35, so never mind on the ask if anyone has one. You probably did, had it on ebay, and I just bought it from you. The Saab world is a small one these days... :)

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Was gonna say, I have one here if you need it... :) The block had a big hole in it, but I kept the cover because hoarding parts is what the cool kids do.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
If it was way out there, I don't think that would leak. The only sealing surfaces I remember from when I took one of those a while back are the two vertical lines close to the center line where most of the bolts go in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as an update, it doesn't appear to be leaking at all. So I have a good plate from ebay in the big parts box in case I ever have the transmission off again, but I think it's a pretty harmless break. I did put a bolt through the transmission lifting eye though to keep it in place, which is probably wise, I think all it really does outside those inner bolts is be a dust cover for the flywheel / clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts