SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this past sunday night I had a encounter with a little twit driving a bright red Audi TT 3.2Q. I was simply driving along and this teenager (hopefully driving his parents car) was obviously not happy with me passing him at about 50 mph in a two lane 40 mph zone. He absolutely gunned it and pulled ahead of me. By the time I noticed what he was up to and dropped it into 3rd, he had switched lanes and was in front of me.

We then pulled up to a stoplight and I had to stay behind him in the right lane behind him because of an upcoming onramp. He floored it from the stoplight, and pulled about a five car length lead on me by about 40 mph where the entrance for the onramp is. I can toss my car within inches of where I want at 10/10ths of it's handling limits and I knew I could catch him there, banking on this young teen to be an inexperienced driver. And catch him I did, by the end of the onramp. At the end, it has a sharp 90 deg. turn that can only be taken at about 30 mph where it merges onto the highway. I came out about half a car length behind, and from then, we both let it rip. From 30-85 mph I hung right with him losing less than a car length. Not a bad result for a 175 hp Linear on 87 gas against a 250 hp AWD roadster with the notoriously quick-shifting DSG gearbox.

All I was thinking is this is a hell of a time for me to have detuned my PPC. Me being a cheap-***, and wanting to use 87 fuel, absolutely killed me. I don't know how much difference it would have made, but I have to believe I would have easily been right on him, or maybe even able to make a pass. Even so my PPC-less car really impressed me. Now in a couple of months when I get my Boxster S... (Dreaming :cheesy:)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would put money on the TT. PPC or not. Don't get me wrong, I like the SAAB, but the V6 engine in a lighter car with superior traction should blitz the 9-3.

Don't agree with street racing though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
but the TT power is spread over 4 wheels...plus id imagine 3rd gear youd start edging up if not taking him (with PPC)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtpisgah said:
Well I guess you showed him who the mature and responsible person was didn't you!?!
That's why I shut it down at 80 mph, no need to go faster than that on the highway! I was just surprised to see that I could kinda keep up with the TT. I thought I would be blown away. I was outmatched from a stop, but held up very well when on the move.

It just ticked me off seeing that young kid driving such and expensive car. Not probably the smartest idea to push an inexperienced driver on public roads, but the roads were empty at around 11 pm. I don't push it in traffic.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Aero_adam said:
I would put money on the TT. PPC or not. Don't get me wrong, I like the SAAB, but the V6 engine in a lighter car with superior traction should blitz the 9-3.
I just looked up the TT on Edmunds. It weighs over 3600 lbs! According to Audi, though, its just under 3000 (which makes more sense). If the "superior traction" isn't necessary, however, its just that much more drive train loss.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ok.. well being that i drove my mothers 05 TT around all summer I can say that it definately would still win.. but from a standing start you would have the best chance.. cause OMG that thing is picky about starting out.. unless it was an auto... cause the 6 speed.. naturally because of the all wheel drive... is a ***** to start out... lol... i got used to starting out it in all summer... and then got backto my car at school and was really worrying all my passengers at starts... was a tad jerky. Felt i should throw that in here.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
black_linear said:
It just ticked me off seeing that young kid driving such and expensive car. Not probably the smartest idea to push an inexperienced driver on public roads, but the roads were empty at around 11 pm. I don't push it in traffic.
Thats the right condition to go for a burn, so i think its ok:)

·
Banned
975 Posts
yeah.... damn kids with those nice cars...... :roll:

(<--- = 17 and drives an '04 arc)

at least i worked my *** off for mine :cheesy:

·
Registered
771 Posts
black_linear said:
Now in a couple of months when I get my Boxster S... (Dreaming :cheesy:)
Hi,
Nice Performance :) I used to be able to hold the smaller TT in my MR2 but the quatros are really quite quick :)

I would sell your grandmother/wife/kids/organs and get a 911 instead :lol: the Boxter S is really not that great :( In fact if you really have to go with a Boxter S I would also drive a Honda S2000 It drove far better than the porker in my opinion you might not buy the 2K but it will show the Porsches faults and why you need to sell that kidney :cheesy:

Best regards,

Peter

·
Registered
365 Posts
glfaholic said:
ok.. well being that i drove my mothers 05 TT around all summer I can say that it definately would still win..
It depends all too much on the driver, thankfully. This is another scary thread, though. I'll be surprised if it stays open.

The car is technically capable of more, but the typical Audi consumer isn't all that bent on balls-out performance in my experience... or they think they arem but are just too young, inexperienced, and driving their parent's car! I liked the shifter in the TT better than in my '99 Saab, but not as well as the shifter in my present Saab. It's a bit of a stick in pudding. The BMW is the only car I've driven other than the 9-3ss that has a shifter that is comparably fast. (well, aside from the Hewland ta mated to a Cosworth sport 2000)

·
Registered
365 Posts
black_linear said:
Now in a couple of months when I get my Boxster S... (Dreaming :cheesy:)
That's a very nice ride. But make sure you really get the Boxster S! Because the otherwise Boxster is not special at all. And the Honda S2000 snacks on it handily for a ton less money. I don't like the 'idea' of the S2000, but once the valve timing shifts (wind the bejeezuz out of it), it goes from lame to incredible immediately. The grip is all there, and happening in a confidence-inspiring way. Of course it sounds like all hell is breaking loose under the hood. The car is more capable than most drivers, right out of the box. Completely impractical, space-wise, even compared to the Boxster, but the performance is the industry's biggest unsung hero, in my humble opinion.

Boxster S was created to offset this underdog, I think. Can't be having Porsche's nuggets layed out on the pavement in the slipstream of a lowly Honda... yikes- what would that imply??? :suprised; The 'S' can do it's homework and still have time to play outside.

·
Registered
635 Posts
this thread should be closed down for the simple fact that you guys actually like the boxster s...

at least say cayman s if anything...the boxster? wtf? lol, i laugh at that excuse for a "porsche"...

carrera 4s, turbo, gt2, gt3...name one of those...but a boxster s?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ScoopSS said:
at least say cayman s if anything...the boxster? wtf? lol, i laugh at that excuse for a "porsche"...

carrera 4s, turbo, gt2, gt3...name one of those...but a boxster s?
I don't completely agree with that one... The Boxster S is quite the performer especially since a 3-4 year old one can be had for a song. Look at the skidpad and braking figures for the Boxster 'S'. They match and exceed all but the GT2 & GT3. Plus, honestly, I'm looking for a summer top down car.

I'd love to get a Cayman S, but realistically, it's $70k price tag + added dealer fees puts it way out of my reach. I'm sure with it's hard top, it'll out handle the Boxster. Seriously Scoop, I'd love any of them more than a Boxster... just have to deal with the fact I don't make that much loot, and can only buy what I can afford!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Aero_adam said:

Don't agree with street racing though.

The Aero will take a 3.2Q midrange. Been there done that.

It's the 0-40 launch that can be a bit tricky against a quattro, plus if the road gets really twisty, or is wet, then you're in the proverbial.......

·
Banned
975 Posts
I've heard poor reviews on the audi TTs speed, keep in mind that it also depends on where you guys are from... I live in colorado, a mile above sea level, and because of that I've taken cars with engines that had two to three times the displacement of my car simply because they suffocate. The audi TT is one of those N/A cars that can't breathe up here...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts