SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the letter today to go through emissions. I have a ghost cat on there. Has anybody gone through emissiojns with no cat and passed? My JT exhaust should be here this month, I just hope my registration will not expire before the exhaust shows up.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i have a cat, in ri, i passed (nox) by lowering the mix. the mas variable resistor screw, 87, was set to 225ohms. bolt on a cat, set your mix, use lots of ethanol and methanol both, change the plugs and dist cap, set the timing.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The 900's fuel injection system produces very clean burning; if all that was tested were HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide), I would give a de-catted 900 a good chance of passing.

However, Connecticut also tests for nitrous oxides (NOx), and there's no way to pass this test without a cat.

My suggestion is to install a cat (even if it's an inexpensive one from a junkyard), and then go through the test. That's all I can say without it being construed that I'm giving advice on circumventing the law.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ProfZ said:
The 900's fuel injection system produces very clean burning; if all that was tested were HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide), I would give a de-catted 900 a good chance of passing.

However, Connecticut also tests for nitrous oxides (NOx), and there's no way to pass this test without a cat.

My suggestion is to install a cat (even if it's an inexpensive one from a junkyard), and then go through the test. That's all I can say without it being construed that I'm giving advice on circumventing the law.
You called it, it failed, but the HC and CO were very close, it was the NOx that was way off. Im gonna pull the exhaust off my 87 with the cat just bolt it on to go through again.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I thought I might post up the results, this is with no cat.

HC-limit 250 - result 265
CO-limit 0.80 - result 0.84
NOx-limit 1750 - result 2340

I put a cat in tonight, its a used one, but looks good and does not rattle. Are there any other tricks that I can do to get me through.
Also, my car is registered as a non turbo, the car is now a turbo, did the swap about 2 years ago, is there a big difference between N/A and turbo cars with emissions
thanks

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Like Willy Wonka said, adjusting the air mass meter will help you pass. High NOx means the mixture is running lean and you have unburned oxygen.

My SPG failed NOx and it passed after the air mass meter was adjusted and the timing retarded. I will need a new AMM in the future though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
quick4door said:
Well I thought I might post up the results, this is with no cat.

HC-limit 250 - result 265
CO-limit 0.80 - result 0.84
NOx-limit 1750 - result 2340
Thanks for all the tips guys, I did what you all said, AMM adjustment, added the cat, that was a big one, and adjusted timing, it passed very well, everything went down, NOx went down to 82. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts