SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i recnetly posted about my MOT failure the other week.the major thing was the emissions test.i sent it back in for its re-test today with a new lambda sencor fitted, new plugs, and cleaned the airfilter out (itg filter), and guess what it has failed on emissions again:x .....

only thing i can think of is the cat now witch is a abbottracing one (have the full system) and is only about 3-4 months old. anyone have any other ideas ?????

cheers

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Find a good repair/service facility that knows diagnosis and not guessing and throwing ..And I think the MOT people can at least give hints as to what is wrong..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
earthworm said:
Find a good repair/service facility that knows diagnosis and not guessing and throwing ..And I think the MOT people can at least give hints as to what is wrong..
normaly they do but i wish i neva went to this garage the guy is grumpy.i asked him and he said lambda sencor so put 1 on and now he dont know.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I seem to remember there were problems with the CAT used on the Abbott system - maybe worth contacting them. If the Lambda is working and there is no CEL all that remains is that the exhaust as it exits the engine is not being cleaned by the CAT.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've read through your other post and you still haven't indicated what the numbers we're that the car failed on.

Can you list what the readings are and the limits for each type of gas tested, and what kind of test was done?

Helping you without knowing what the limits and readings are is almost pointless.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diosnoche said:
I've read through your other post and you still haven't indicated what the numbers we're that the car failed on.

Can you list what the readings are and the limits for each type of gas tested, and what kind of test was done?

Helping you without knowing what the limits and readings are is almost pointless.
never got a emissions print off from him going to have to pay him 1 final visit for the readings (i neva pick the car up my dad did as i work nights)... but as far as i know its the co2 lvl that is sky high (what the guy told me on 1st visit)

qoute

Shirozina
I seem to remember there were problems with the CAT used on the Abbott system - maybe worth contacting them. If the Lambda is working and there is no CEL all that remains is that the exhaust as it exits the engine is not being cleaned by the CAT.

that was my thinking aswell and as he told me it was the co2 lvl that was sky high.. i did contact abbott but ed and gyles was out have to call them tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A high CO reading indicates a very fuel rich condition, so that is why it was logical to replace the O2 sensor as this is what controls the air/fuel ratio. How do you know for sure that the O2 sensor you replace is in fact working? Did you have the car hooked up to a scanner while you drove around town?

Sometimes the wiring itself to the O2 sensor is bad, maybe it is broken somewhere or even if the sensor isn't getting a good ground it won't function properly, and it is possible to get a bad O2 sensor right out of the box. Are you using an OEM replacement sensor or are you using a universal O2 sensor, the kind that you have to splice and solder the connections together.

Other things to check before thinking about changing the CAT, check your MAF, throttle body, air filter, fuel injectors (leaking or dripping), fuel pressure regulator, if you have a weak spark, anything that might restrict airflow. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS LEAN OUT THE FUEL TRIM.

It should be noted that no mater what aftermarket CAT converter manufacturers state, aftermarket CAT's are never as good as the OEM ones.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diosnoche said:
A high CO reading indicates a very fuel rich condition, so that is why it was logical to replace the O2 sensor as this is what controls the air/fuel ratio. How do you know for sure that the O2 sensor you replace is in fact working? Did you have the car hooked up to a scanner while you drove around town?

Sometimes the wiring itself to the O2 sensor is bad, maybe it is broken somewhere or even if the sensor isn't getting a good ground it won't function properly, and it is possible to get a bad O2 sensor right out of the box. Are you using an OEM replacement sensor or are you using a universal O2 sensor, the kind that you have to splice and solder the connections together.

Other things to check before thinking about changing the CAT, check your MAF, throttle body, air filter, fuel injectors (leaking or dripping), fuel pressure regulator, if you have a weak spark, anything that might restrict airflow. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS LEAN OUT THE FUEL TRIM.

It should be noted that no mater what aftermarket CAT converter manufacturers state, aftermarket CAT's are never as good as the OEM ones.
the o2 sencor was from parts for saabs and comes ready to conect to the car (with conector on it) i have cheched the airflow/spark etc

will be checking the fuel injectors as soon as i get the chance (working nights:( )...

what do u mean lean out the fuel trim ????

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
TheGodSon93 said:
t

what do u mean lean out the fuel trim ????
If you are running slightly rich then you need to pull it down a bit, that is all.

You still did not answer my comment about the emissions from the previous threads; the tester is obliged to provide you with a print out and we need to know whether he did simply a standard test or whether it was the other test [MOT testers don't talk about this] they have the right to do emissions within another, wider set of parameters. They have to use more sensors that is more work for the tester ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ragtopcav said:
If you are running slightly rich then you need to pull it down a bit, that is all.

You still did not answer my comment about the emissions from the previous threads; the tester is obliged to provide you with a print out and we need to know whether he did simply a standard test or whether it was the other test [MOT testers don't talk about this] they have the right to do emissions within another, wider set of parameters. They have to use more sensors that is more work for the tester ;)
1) from what i seen it was the standard test ( i do know what test is have done it many times before with perfromance cars).but like i have said the guy was grumpy as hell with me (prob cuz i young lol) and yeah thats prob why the other tests neva got done more work for him lol but in saying that i unsure and will find out when i see him tomorrow lol.

2) he did not give me any print out of emissions last time. MOT's have all changed have no idea what you get (or as a tester give) anymore from when i done them.

3) from what the tester said he is now pointing the finger at the cat great after spending big bucks on the lambda lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we have progress..... YAY

spoke to abbottracing today and they said to send them my ecu as there might be a problem with the programing of the ecu...

will let you know how i get on when i get it back cheers for all your input...

dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts