SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Do I check the engine oil levels with the engine cold, hot, ten minutes after it was turned off, on the second tuesday after a full moon, etc, etc."

This has been driving me up the wall all morning, and all I'm really looking for is some confirmation...

Personally I thought that you should check it cold, so that the oil's all drained back down into the sump, but the manual says I should run the engine to normal operating temps and then leave it off for ten minutes and check it, the haynes manual suggests doing it cold or at least five minutes after turning it off, and almost every other source I can find suggests doing it cold :confused:

If it wasn't for the actual manual saying something different I'd just check it cold and think no more of it, but because it is I'm left wondering :(

Doubt it makes much difference but it's a W plate 95 Aero

Cheers in advance for any advice, and jokes/abuse are fine as long as there's some advice in there ('get a clue you pillock' doesn't really count btw :D)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I think the most important thing is that you check it the same way consistently so you will know if you are losing/using oil ;)

I guess when warm it could show differently but when using a fully synthetic oil I cant think it makes that much difference :confused:

Welcome to Saab Central by the way :p

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral Jimbo, i personaly use the method Saab outline in the owners manual. Run to operating temp, then allow the engine to cool for 2-5 minutes before reading dipstick. I guess the synthetic oil is so thin it runs to the bottom pretty quickly. Any problems, you know where to come from now on. :cheesy:

·
Registered
203 Posts
In my opinion,

If a quick check is required.

When cold or hot the level should be in the upper half of the dipstick indicator.

If its outside of that:- Do it as the handbook. (it took Haynes ~ 8 year to realize there was a Saab 9-5, so any contradiction between them , go for the Saab handbook)

Over the FULL mark is just as DANGEROUS as below the FILL mark.

I know its been mentioned but it cant be emphasized enough.

You must be sure you are running on FULLY SYNTH oil.

Pete

X

·
0 Posts
xalfa said:
Wow, Finn looks a lot younger than I had imagined :cheesy:
What exactly are you trying to say :D I'am an official member of the getting old club..;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts