SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rooting around trying to find info on this and asking here too.

Saab 1997 2.3L, 4 door. The trunk lock, license plate lights and running lights on the trunk are not working.

I checked all the fuses, as in all the fuses and not just the ones related to these devices and all fuses are intact.

I can press the trunk lock button on the drivers side door and I can hear it activate activate. I am not sure if this is coming from the bottom chassis part, or the trunk part.

Regardless, all of those devices are not lighting up or locking. Am trying to find info that goes beyond fuses to see if there is a wiring harness that may have come loose. But I am not familiar with that part of the car.

Ideas anyone? What got me on to this was sensing ever so slight exhaust coming into the cabin. That is when I discovered the trunk was not locking down.

Help?

·
Registered
898 Posts
The lights on the trunk are not running lights, they are rear fog lights, which are turned on by a button to the left of the steering wheel. Also, as the hatch is heavy, it may be that it unlocks but then relatches. Open the hatch with your key and adjust the screwable rubber stops underneath the sides of the hatch, screw them outward so they are "taller" and so they make the trunk spring up more when its unlatched

·
Registered
18,949 Posts
Most likely it's the grounding point in the trunk. I believe it's behind the left rear interior panel in the trunk. Known corrosion point.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

Thank you both for responding.

As the electronics appear to be out for everything into the trunk, the grounding point is what I suspected first but didn't know where to look. However, I will also re-seat based on that recommendation too.

Appreciate your responses very much. Sure beats taking it to a Saab place for what hopefully is a simple tweak.

Will report on how it goes....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess what...

Soooooooooo, as it would go, I decided to look into the latching device on the trunk and ended up disconnecting it to see what was happening there because I could hear the motor turn and release the latch, which meant my original theory of power to the trunk might be the issue since nothing was working. Well, that wasn't entirely true when I was able to hear the release working, which I swear I didn't before...

So, disassembled the latch and once removed, found the device 'locked' into place which is was not doing when in place. I lubed everything and put it back in place. Voila. It worked. A matter of just fiddling with it, and it all came back together.

The license plate lights still do not work. I removed both bulbs and they were intact, and the fuses appeared to be fine, so will attack that next.

But it was a matter of just slowing down, getting in a nice calm frame of mind which Saabs have always brought me to when I am digging into something new, and they have almost always rewarded me with how simple and logical they are put together when you slow down and enjoy the work. I have another 1997 2.0T that I also bang on and as long as one slows down, studies, and get your mind into the learning moment, well... I have done everything from using the car as a luxury car to using it to cut and haul firewood, and it has been nothing but a performer. Can get 34mpg highway in Colorado with 150K, then shin it up and drive up to a hoity toity event and have heads turn, and then go out and get 2/3rds of a cord and haul it home. It just runs.

Tx all for offering advice. It furthers the 'therapy' of working on these puppies and I appreciate the community that offers help in this. I now have a better understanding of the trunk latch mechanics.

My dream is to one day have a late 60s or early 70s v4 that I can putter around in and be reminded of simpler times brought on by smart people... those darned Swedes ya know....

·
Registered
427 Posts
My license plate lights didn't work either, or would work intermittantly.

Turned out to be corrosion on the bulb holder. It wasn't getting a good ground. I just cleaned it up with some electrical contact cleaner and a small wire brush mounted in my dremel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts