SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 9-5 Aero, and have had several screwy "electrical system" malfunctions. I wanted the boards advice to try and troubleshoot before bringing it to the dealer. I never like to rely just on their opinion. Here is the list of oddities:
1) Airbag warning light keeps coming on with a "ding". It may stay on for hours, may come on and off, or may be off for days.
2) The top information display will lose verticle columns of "pixels" randomly, but then they'll come back.
3) The "time for service" message will come on for several days in a row, then not illuminate for several days, and so on.
4) The "brake light failure" message will illuminate on occasion when stepping on the brakes. When this happens, the driver's side brake light will be "off". However, when the message does not come on, the light works fine.
Any ideas? Are these coincidental but separate issues, or some sort of central processing unit? Any way to "hard reset" the sucker?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
the answers are:

1. Don't know, possibly a bad ABS module, you can do a rebuild I believe. But do a search on this board or others to confirm.
2. Typical of the older style SID. ~$100 bucks will get it fixed. Check out SID repair on Fleabay.
3. Press and hold Clear, thru the first ding and Cleared, until you get second ding.
4. If its a wagon, possibly the third light bar (LED's) that are a poor connection or something. If sedan, then the wiring loom might be worn thru and shorting. Again, do a search and find the topic.

Minor annoyances all of them. But worth fixing...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check these things first

1. SRS light is air bag system. Scan for codes. Two known failures, drivers seat wiring harness high resistance and steering wheel clockspring. I would recommend getting your vehicle scanned to determine the codes first. Probably a clockspring, very common.

2. Already answered. Have the SID repaired

3. Already answered. Hold the clear button

4. Very common to find bulbs that work but are on their way out. I typically replace both outside brake light bulbs with good silver base european bulbs. I find the chinese junk bulbs throw false messages and fail prematurely. Even though the bulb may be working it may be giving an incorrect resistance which the computer uses to determine bulb failure. Replace both with good bulbs. Also let use know if you have a wagon or sedan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: electronics

It is a sedan.
I can't scan for codes, so I guess it is off to the dealership. For #1, how involved are those repairs?
Also, I don't think I was clear with #3. The service indicator only comes on occasionally, then goes away. May come back a week or two later. I know how to clear it. I guess what I'm asking is why is this happening?
Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
have it scanned

May need a possible software update for the SID to fix that Service Light.. not sure... but

SRS needs to be scanned so when they scan that you can have them update software for SID. I would find out what the codes are, let me know and I can advise as to repair it yourself or have a shop repair it. Best if you can find a competent indy to repair this for you since most dealerships want to replace parts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why can't you scan for codes? Do you not have an Autozone near you? They do it for free.

To clear "time for service" message hold the clear button until the chime sounds. Keep holding it for about another 10 seconds until you here the second ding. Then let go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: electronics

Pab95: no, no Autozone's near by. It's going into the dealer anyway, but I wanted to know what I'm up against before I get there.
I'll post the codes once I get them.
Mark

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you're lucky... :(
I left my car at the dealer for ACC software update (constant 1-22 error). I knew that some codes are stored in the ACC, as it threw SERVICE THEFT ALARM once a week earlier (I already replaced siren battery, so that was hopefully not it). I asked the tech if he could read and tell me the codes before updating and erasing everything. "sure, ok"...

Half hour later (mind you, I paid of FULL HOUR of labor) I get my car back. Ask tech: "did you get these codes?"

"No!"

hmm, thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a thought. Is it possible that this is a flood damaged car or a salvaged (wrecked) car? A carfax should show the history (although not foolproof) and there may be some recourse depending on who you bought it from.

I know that it might not be as helpful as a troubleshooting suggestion, but there are already plenty of good ones here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
re: title

Good, clear title according to Carfax. Of course that is not foolproof, but if flood damaged, that would suck!

G

·
Where in Philly are you based? (if you don't mind my asking) The reason I ask is because the ABSOLUTE LAST PLACE you want to take it is the Main Line Saab! Also I could probably point out an auto zone not too far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re: dealers

Hi,
I'm in the northern burbs, so I've been using Great Britains in Willow Grove. I also use Dinardo's, an independent import shop. They've done a bunch of work for me in the past on Mercedes, BMW, even Triumph.
Mark

G

·
sirmoog said:
Hi,
I'm in the northern burbs, so I've been using Great Britains in Willow Grove. I also use Dinardo's, an independent import shop. They've done a bunch of work for me in the past on Mercedes, BMW, even Triumph.
Mark
I'm familiar with both, I had a friend in Doylestown that swore by Dinardo's. Just looking out for a fellow Saab driver, they will intentially do extra work and over-charge at ML Saab. I know because I had a buddy who worked there when I lived a couple blocks down.

G

·
I've used the Great Britians to have them use Tech II to reprogram my parking lights so that they are parking lights. They also took care of the fuel pump recall. They have a nice waiting room with free premium coffee and Hot Chocolate.

Fred Beans in Doylestown did the DI recall but they charged me $100.00 to replace my plugs. Always ask what they are going to charge before telling them to do the work. They have free internet access in their waiting room(including the computer)

Both places are decent, but if you can DIY, you can save yourself a lot of money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts