SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have some kind of electrical short in my 88 Saab 900 Turbo Convertable.

The car was given to me with the problem.

It runs and drives normal but has none of the fallowing works.

Heat
turn signals
cluster lights
power windows
heated seats
power mirrors

and maybe a few other things

When I try to turn the turn signals on the tach drops to 0 RPM and the brake light and park brake light come on. Same when i try to adjust the vent selector on the heater. Wierd!

It seem that there is a bad ground wire somewhere. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am having a hard time figureing it out!

Any help on common locations on ground wires in saabs?

Thanks in advance.

-Devon

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
First, repair the bad grounds at yout taillight housings (Check the FAQ for this common problem).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no luck in the FAQ.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find this common problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link.

I took a look at the car and it appears that the previous owner already took care of that problem.

I tore into the center consol and found the ground wires to all of the windows and convertable top. They all seem to be grounded just fine.

I did realise that when the electric fans kick on that the tach drops out and the park brake and brake lights come on.

I am completely clueless and frustrated right now.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
You're not offering a lot of information for a scientific diagnosis, so round up another of the usual suspects.
Find the Ignition Lock Relay in the fusebox on the left fender. Unplug it and clean every contact on it and in the fuse panel where it fits. You may have to bend the connectors in the socket a little to re-tension them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts