SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of months I have been having issues with my radio cutting in and out or loosing power intermittantly. If it cuts out I can turn the radio off and back on and it will come back on like normal everytime. When it cuts out I can sometimes turn the volume up and faintly hear the signal coming through the speakers which seems to me would be an issue with the amplifier or speaker connections.

However other issues are I am experiencing are sterring controls shorting/not working intermitantly and the sid not displaying the station info. All of this comes and goes. And Lastly today I saw a brief Radio Blocked error on the SID. It went away quickly and didnt cause any other problems.

I cant seem to think what single component would cause all of these issues other than the head unit I guess. Just wanted to get some input before I tore into the dash. Thanks

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
I cant seem to think what single component would cause all of these issues other than the head unit I guess. Just wanted to get some input before I tore into the dash. Thanks
I think with all those problems, the head unit is the most likely suspect. There's no way the amp could cause the other issues.

You don't really need to "tear into" the dash. Get a couple DIN radio removal tools and you can have the radio out in 5 minutes. I'd say two minutes, but sometimes the tools don't hook up right or it gets a little stuck in the opening.
A replacement (used) radio will need to be divorced from the car that owns it and then married to your car. A dealer/indy with a Tech II can do that in one operation. I believe you need the VIN of the car the replacement comes from.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have taken the radio out before and have the tools. I think I was just overly afraid of some hard to trace electrical problem when it is most likely just an issue with the head unit and or connector.

I will look at it tonight and report back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finaly got a chance to take a look at the head unit. When I pulled it from the dash I could right away hear some loose objects rolling around inside the unit. After removing a couple of side panels I was able to extract three pennies from inside. I assume these were probably inserted through the cd slot by the previous owner. I also made sure the connections were sound and secure upon reinstall.

So far no issues this morning but didnt have a long drive. Hopefully the problem is solved

1 - 4 of 4 Posts