SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 900 turbo conv. I have already had to re-ground my tail lights due to the common problem found where it shorts out. More so I have had for quite some time a serious battery drain issue. I eventually installed a battery cut-off switch, and now when I park the car I pop the hood and flip a switch on the battery. Otherwise I need to jump start my car. It is not constant though, sometimes the battery will wear down in less than an hour. Other times I can forget the switch and next day the car starts fine. I have brought it in to the shop twice. First time they replaced the alternator ground wire. Car ran fine for about 2 months, and then the battery drain issue came back. I have tested my battery, alternator, etc.. all passed.

I have even gone so far as to pull every fuse and relay out at night to see if that would work. It doesn't. One thing to note, the fuse for the heater blower constantly is burning out. It seems like there could be a connection, but the car still drains after I do not replace the fuse.

Anyone have any ideas? Had a similar problem? The engine in this car is still too good for me to consider selling it off. Recently I went looking for a second auto and test drove numerous other Saabs, BMWs, even some Porsche 944s, and none even came close to the Saab in terms of performance and fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a problem in a previous car of mine. I bought an Optima battery, which worked great for a few weeks. Then, I went out to my car on my way home, and the battery was dead (lights were off, everything.). I jumped it and brought it home, and found that I was having the same problem. If I let it sit, it would die in an hour or so. I switched the battery out for my old one, and it worked fine. I took the battery in, and it tested OK, so I didn't know what was going on. So I just left my old battery in the car, and it was fine.

I'm sure my reply wasn't much help. Oh well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
does your battery light turn on\stay on. because i know for a fact that my saab leaves power running so it can run the fan until it is done cooling to a certain temp, but for some reason any thing that is on will be on like a 50percent power, it is wierd. but anyways check on that relay, i think it is in the inner driver fender accross from the ecu. good luck

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I had the same problem with our 1990 900S about 4 years ago. I replaced the ignition switch (meaning, the capsule with the electrical contacts), and the problem has never reappeared.

Over time, metal particles from normal wear combine with grease in the capsule to produce a semi-conductive goo that sends current to all kinds of places with the ignition off :x

Test for this by removing your center console top panel to expose the ign. switch. Pull off the thick gray wire at the 12 o'clock position on the switch capsule, and see if the battery now drains overnight. If it doesn't, the ign. switch is your culprit :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the one thing I have not tried. Yes the placement of the ign switch is unique, BUT...it does allow for a lot of dirt and other grime to get in. This winter I got a some water spilled in to the ignition. So every time it was cold, I had to take a butane torch lighter and heat up the ign switch so I could turn my key, fun. Anyways, I am going to be parking this car for a few days, and this would be the perfect time to test it. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts