SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2000 9-5 (aero if it matters). I knew it had a few electrical problems but bought it at a pretty good price so I figured I would take a stab at them. After checking all of the fuses and relays, I am left hoping someone esle can help.

My saab has a few issues and I'm hoping there is one thing that could influence all of these. Just to preface, in case this matters, this car has been rear ended and repaired. My car has cruise control but it does not work. My brights do not work and my TCS light is always on. There are a couple more issues that I cannot think of right now, I will update when I remember. EDIT: Odometer is out too.

Thanks in advance guys; I'm pretty lost. Saabs are a whole new creature for me.

EDIT#2: After a bit more searching, I came across an ABS controller problem that sounds reminescent of mine.

EDIT#3: This still leaves the issue of no Intermittent wipers, and no brights. I wouldnt think these would have anything to do with the ABS controller.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check the cheap stuff first before swapping the expensive part - I think you'll need some wiring diagrams though. A Haynes manual or a workshop CD would be useful.

- Are the ABS sensors connected ?
- Is there something amiss with the dash wiring (it sounds possible) ?
- Is the TCS switch working ?

I'll have a look at my Haynes this evening to see if I can spot anything.

Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
It might also be worth checking out the wiring on the left side of the boot (ive read lots of threads where the plastic tube cover is cracked and the wires inside are damaged which can cause all sorts of weird issues).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan Aero:

Would the TCS switch show any signs of functioning if the ABS controller was broken? As it is now, the TCS switch doesn't do anything. It does "feel" like it functions though.
I'll have to get a Haynes manual before I delve into the wiring. I don't even know where to begin to look for wiring issues in the dash. This thing is a veritable aircraft when it comes to wires.

Bam:

I will check on those wires.

Thanks for your insight guys:
~Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got my Haynes open in front of me, so here goes.

Main Beams
There are a few fuses to check for the main beams.
In the passenger compartment fusebox at the end of the dash check F20. There should be a permanent 12v feed on this fuse, and this is the feed to the dip switch.
Then in the engine compartment fusebox check F7 which is connected to the output of the dip switch, and then F10 & F12 which are the individual fuses for left and right beam respectively.

Intermittent Wipers
If it's just the intermittent that's not working then it looks like that is a function of the DICE unit. Power feeds for the DICE come via passenger compartment fuses F8, F16 & F20. The main wiper fuse is F37 but that should be ok if the wipers are otherwise working.

Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dan_aero said:
I've got my Haynes open in front of me, so here goes.

Main Beams
There are a few fuses to check for the main beams.
In the passenger compartment fusebox at the end of the dash check F20. There should be a permanent 12v feed on this fuse, and this is the feed to the dip switch.
Then in the engine compartment fusebox check F7 which is connected to the output of the dip switch, and then F10 & F12 which are the individual fuses for left and right beam respectively.

Intermittent Wipers
If it's just the intermittent that's not working then it looks like that is a function of the DICE unit. Power feeds for the DICE come via passenger compartment fuses F8, F16 & F20. The main wiper fuse is F37 but that should be ok if the wipers are otherwise working.

Let us know how you go.
Wow, I don't know what to say. Thank you, that is extremely helpful. I will let you know how I fair.

EDIT:Ok, so far we've been pretty productive. Narrowed all of the ABS sensor related stuff down to the ABS controller or wires (haven't had a chance to check.) Also, thanks to Dan, the high beams work now. I think the only thing I haven't figured out is the wipers.

The wipers only work on a steady mode, no intermittent. Also when they are turned off, they stop exactly where they are. They don't go down to their resting position. Hopefully that might spark and idea for someone. I know a lot of General Motors cars have a wiper pulse board. Anyone know if Saabs do too?

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a bit of playing, I have gotten my wipers to work intermittantly. They pulse properly but they dont complete the cycle. So they kick on and move for a second or so and then stop as soon as its done pulsing, even in the upright position. (if that makes sense.)

My other question is that I only got a key with this car. Do all -00 Aeros have Key fobs and if so is there a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
~Jeff

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Do you an alarm fob at all? Do you just have a key with no buttons on and a "banana" type alarm fob or the "all in one" key with 3 buttons on for lock, unlock and trunk.

You need to get a 2nd key because if you lose your one and only key the whole TWICE unit will need replacing along with 2 new keys.....about $1500. :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only got one key with this car. It has no buttons on it at all. I will get a copy of it at the dealer as soon as I can. My main question was whether all -00 Aero's had the capability of keyless entry or if there was a sign that could tell me if mine did.

Thanks for the heads up on the replacement costs, that would suck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dagger969 said:
I only got one key with this car. It has no buttons on it at all. I will get a copy of it at the dealer as soon as I can. My main question was whether all -00 Aero's had the capability of keyless entry or if there was a sign that could tell me if mine did.
All 9-5's have remote keyless entry. It sounds like you did not get the separate "banana" fob when you bought the car. After the MY2000 Saab introduced an integrated on-in-one key and got rid of the fob. Since you will need to buy a new key you can get the new type of all-in-one key. It will have to be programmed with Tech II to work. I've seen these for sale on Ebay!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts