SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1998, 9000 Anniversary ediiton with a nice little electrical problem!

When you put the key into the ignition and turn the engine over it wont start, some i have also noticed that the climate control panel does not light up.

I had a look under bonnett for a loose connection but all was tight, how ever when bonnett was put down car came to life and would allow it to be started.

This has happened several times now and I dont want it to happen when my wife is out with the kids!

Any ideas?

Paul.

·
Registered
731 Posts
From following these forums for a while, it seems to me that this type of fault is often caused by a faulty ignition key switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Apologies if you've already followed up on what johncc said, but it sounds exactly like the ignition switch (the electrical part, not the mechanical bit). It happened to my 1997 Anniversary and was a real pain to diagnose, but a simple fix. I got a friendly mechanic to do it but I reckon having watched him I could do it myself and I'm no expert!

absgt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, not very clear was I! ;oops:

The mechanic just replaced it. I think it cost about GBP£20 or so, and it was 30 minutes labour for a guy who confessed he'd never worked on a 9000 before; so it should be pretty straightforward.
It's definitely worth having it looked at as it's not an expensive bit, and I found my car progressed from symptoms of non-starting to symptoms of cutting out and total electrical failure while driving. Try 60mph at dead of night night with no power, no lights, no PAS, no ABS...it certainly concentrated my mind to overule my wallet and get it sorted! :eek:

absgt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts