SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 9oo 94 conv. classic body. When I step on the brakes there is a loss of all electrical power for about a second. If I flash the lights using the combo switch it also happens. I had the steering column bearing replaced, could that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
look at the ground points at the rear tail lights, often they get messed up from rust and do all kinds of crazy things, like the two turn signals lighting up when you brake.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
could be a damaged wire, and or when you press the brakes you are causing a short either by fauly switch or damaged cable(s) you say a 1994 900 you might be in the wrong forum anyway as this is the classic 900 one, :lol:not the gm 900

·
Registered
151 Posts
Since it is occurring the same way by two different methods it definitely sounds like a poor ground connection, which could be a damaged wire, corroded connector etc...

If the problem did not occur before replacing the steering column bearing, it is most likely related so I would look in the vicinity of the steering column first and verify that is / is not related. Look for loose connectors, stretched wires, wires with the insulation peeled back and shorting to metal, or anything that looks "funny."

It would also help if we could have more information about the symptoms. when you say "all electrical power" does that mean the car stops running also? Does the tach quit? Does anything stay on? Can you get someone to watch what the tail lights do when you press the brake?

·
Registered
522 Posts
you say a 1994 900 you might be in the wrong forum anyway as this is the classic 900 one, :lol:not the gm 900
Since he states that his car is a convertible (I have a 9oo 94 conv. classic body) I think he's in the right forum. Unfortunately I can't offer any more help beyond that. :cheesy: Although I would tend to agree with all the responses telling you to check the ground wires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is a classic 900, They used the classic on the convertibles in 94. The problem was gone for a couple of days so I had nothing to look for. Now it's back. When I went to put the top down yesterday it shut the car off. I have also had it happen when the cooling fans come on, also when the pump for the power brakes run in combination with the brake lights. Seems like only heavy loads. So, I looked at the ground at the engine block and almost got the bolt out and it hit's the motor mount before it can be removed. I've had the brake lights out, ignition switch replaced, new battery, alternator is new, cooling fans new, very frustrated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 87 vert,I had a whole bunch of electrical issues.They all were due to the taillite ground.I ended up running a extra ground on the passengers side rear and it solved the problems(except the dash lights).It had been previosly fixed on the drivers side.It must be fairly common.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.