SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you know how when you first put the key in, you hear that little "click" , like its unlocking something? ok, well, mine isnt doing that. and.. its not starting. if i put the key to the "on" position, i get full stereo/ electrical use, and if i try to start the car, it gives just one 'click' (similar sound to a dead battery, trying to turn a starter) and then nothing. i am 99% sure this is a electrical problem, but i dunno.. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Isn't that sound the steering wheel unlocking? Possibly the steering wheel isn't locked to begin with? maybe try turning the wheel without the key in and making sure it is locked?

·
Registered
174 Posts
That first click is the mechanical steering column unlock. Sometimes this doesn't work when the steering mechanism as a bit of torque on it - like when you leave the car locked with the steering wheel turned to one side or the other. You can tell this has heppened when you can (before inserting the key) turn the steering wheel slightly to one side or the other, and it returns to the locking pawl if you let go. Pull the steering wheel away from the pawl and then insert they key. It should unlock. If this doesn't work, you may have a battery or other electrical issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I believe that when the battery doesnt have enough power, you wont hear the clicking noise. I ran my battery dead and jump started it. When the battery died, there was no clicking noise, but after I jump started it and let it charge for a while, the clicking noise returned.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know its not the steering wheel being tofar one way or the other. the battery thing may be more in the right derection. im getting 12.5 volts out of it, but it may just be that there is not enough amperage. i dunno..

Keep the ideas coming if ya can. thanks guys.

Gunner

Ps, thanks for the quick responses

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
M4Gunner said:
i know its not the steering wheel being tofar one way or the other. the battery thing may be more in the right derection. im getting 12.5 volts out of it, but it may just be that there is not enough amperage. i dunno..

Keep the ideas coming if ya can. thanks guys.

Gunner

Ps, thanks for the quick responses
It is your battery I think, especially if you are running old software. Original release of US software precluded you from starting the car if voltage dropes below certain threshold, and you might be right at it. New software expanded the range to a much lower number so if the battery is a little drained the car will still start.....

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, no kidding? thats very good info. thanks. the worst part about all of this... my wifes car is here, but she lost her keys a month ago, and is still using the spare... and shes at the lake!

DAMN HER!!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i just dropped a new battery in there, and thats not it. the steering lock wont unlock because it already IS unlocked. and i cant get it to lock even by turning the wheel. i cant think of any fuses that it could be, and also, everything else electricly works, IE lights, alarm, windows. however the stereo only works periodicly. since thats what i was messing with before all of this started, id guess thats where the problem is. however i connected everything back to the way it was before i got in there.

HELP!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup. no luck. i pulled all of the relavant fuses, all are fine. gave a good once over on all of the non relavant ones for signs of smoke, and nothing.

however, i found the relay for the starter, and it smells a bit electric. so i guess i have to have the dealership do thier thing.

does anyone know of any 'reset' buttons?

Gunner

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Is your car auto? If yes, is it in N or P?

·
Registered
365 Posts
What have you changed with your stereo recently? Anything there that might be giving you some grief?

Whenever I tune or detune (w/PPC), I do not get the 'click' the first time I insert the key after the procedure. It still starts the first time with no issues, just no click. Then after that, it clicks as normal. But the first time after each procedure it does not click.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
manual tranny.

as far as what i changed, really nothing. the only thing that is different than when i started is the speaker wires for the 3's and 4's have been clipped. and the wires from the seat amp (door speakers) were clipped & rerouted. however, the car ran after i did this. (had to test the new deck) the more i think about it, it has to be a relay.. but i guess well see. im going to the dealership first thing tomorrow.

what a pain in the *****.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sounds like your Column Integration Module (would almost be hilariously fictious-sounding if we all didn't know any better) needs to be reset. When I disconnected my battery to install my XM tuner, I didn't get the *click* after I re-installed my battery cable. After a couple of days, it came back. If it is under warranty, take it in and let the dealer deal with it. You've got it better than me though, as my car is currently refusing to recognize either one of my keys (according to the body shop). They just had better not have to replace my ignition switch - I have the coveted '03 lighted one. Hopefully a reset of some module in the car fixes it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya, i was thinking it may be some 'reset' switch in the beginning, but at this point, im ready to trade it in! lol, but seriously, what a bunch of crap. you cant disconnect the battery w/o needing service?!?! theyve gone too far!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found the soloution! call the dealer, and say, come get this POS! lol extended warrenty covered the tow, and possibly the bill too (im sure theyll come up with a way that they dont have to pay for it) but, oh well.

thank all of you guys for the quick responses and good ideas. ill be sure to tell you what the problem ended up being.

Gunner

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, so heres the problem.. now, i have NO IDEA how this happened, due to the fact that i had the battery disconnected, however, the diagnosis is a shorted starter! like i said, i had the battery out of the loop, but.. it still cooked. doesnt make a whole lot of sence, but i guess thats life!

and im all set for a ride..;)

Gunner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts