SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a strange electrical issue with my '94 Aero. At certain times, the center console quickly flickers off then back on. This includes the clock, the A/C, and the cd player. Nothing in the driver's console flickers. I can't get the issue to reproduce reliably, but it happens very often at these times:

When I'm using the A/C full on, less frequently when the air is on but A/C is off (the setting between full on and Off, I forget what it is)
When I use the turn signal
Sometimes when the engine fan turns on

I didn't have any other problems, but then sometimes I would come back to the car and the clock has reset and my cd player presets are gone. Also a couple times lately I've turned the car off, got out, and the power locks won't work for up to a minute. The next time I turn the car on, the clock will be reset and my cd player presets will be gone.

Any ideas before I take it to my mechanic?

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Check all your fuses and make sure none are partially burnt out. Check your wiring and make sure its all tight.

·
Registered
658 Posts
the dimmer switch is pretty common on our cars ...try scrolling switch up and down slowly just to see if it feels suspect ..next time this happens try just bumping the switch and note any change...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuses all looked good. The dome lights flickered when I bumped a few fuses, but I can't get that to happen reliably. There's also one 5w fuse that doesnt seat comfortably into its slot, but its not related to any of the parts of the car that flicker.

I'll try the dimmer switch next time I drive.

·
Registered
658 Posts
get a nice stretch of road at night so you will notice the dimming..normally only happens for a split second so you may not get to the switch in time...but willing to bet donuts to dollars that is your problem...good luck

·
Registered
658 Posts
maybe a quick flicker of all dimmer controlled lights on at that time (clock-radio-atc-just not dome lights although controlled by switch not normally seen-maybe instr. cluster)

·
Registered
658 Posts
it will start with a single flicker on a half hour car ride home that you catch out of the corner of your eye but when you look down all is well but this will turn into 4-5 times on a short trip (and so on as it gets worse)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts