SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new 9-7x owner. I have a 2006 that I've had for a year. I've had problems with the battery - I've actually had to replace the battery in it 3 times since first owning the vehicle. I live in Las Vegas, and I guess it's not uncommon for the harsh temperature to do a number on car batteries.

Well, this afternoon my wife calls me from he job and the car's dead - won't start. So I drive out with my tools just in case I have to take out the battery to replace it again.

Hook up the cables to jump and there's nothing - no turning over at all.

I break out the tools and get ready to unhook the battery when my wife screams that the interior lights turn on - the key is still in the ignition and the driver door is open.

So we try it and the car starts!

I don't know much about cars, but my gut is telling me there is a connection or grounding problem somewhere.

Anybody else run into this? What's the best way to diagnose? Take it to a garage and hope they find the cause quickly?

On a possibly related note, I noticed that there is a sound coming from where the side airbag is right behind the driver's seat - the housing between the front and rear door. This sound - kind of like a small motor - was going with the key out of the ignition. Anybody know what this sound might be? Could this be a clue as to what the problem with the ignition?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having similar issues with my 2008 Aero. These trucks are known for random parasitic losses. That noise you are describing is from an interior temperature sensor in the b-pillar. Not sure of the fix for it when it is running non-stop, I haven’t heard it mine yet, but it may be the problem that I am having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm going to check the draw tomorrow and see what I can find - I just found a video on youtube to show a way to do so.

Those batteries were all just the Walmart brand of battery - its what was in the car when I bought it and when I took them in, I was told that they were so far gone they couldn't be charged - and they were replaced for free.

So, maybe I need to buy a higher-end battery.

But it was the issue that the car wouldn't turn over at all when we were trying to jump it, but then started just fine after we had disconnected from the jumper cables. Maybe it's the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. Definitely going to try to diagnose the battery drain.

The car started this morning with no problems. I'm really thinking I have a problem with the starter in addition to the parasitic drain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my starter replaced about 2 years ago. Never had a starting issue until it sat for a few months after I bought another vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi people, I'm new here and this is my first introduction to SAABS. I'm a qualified mechanic that hasn't had any experience with this brand before but reading your issues I believe I may be able to help with an answer from what I learnt with the first problem I needed to look at. No radio an not sounding alarms or indicators which is done through stereo as I'm sure most of you know. He had his 2005 9-3 serviced at a retail automotive shop but found when he picked up his vehicle the radio had stopped working and was told by the mechanics that they didn't know why. So he brought the car to me for brake pad replacement mainly but explained the radio issues as well. Said it was to do with the amp under L/hand side front seat. I did a search and found no end of people with this issue but no answers on how to diagnose it. I watched four or so videos till I came across a two minute approx video that explained the optical fibre cables enter this amp and return the signal for all sound systems to operate. If the amp fails to work the optics can't return signal. Its a simple matter or carefully unclipping the two optic cables and joining them together with and short piece of tubing hence bypassing the amp. It worked instantly. Radio functioned sounds sounded and he was pleased. Now I needed to contact a Saab dealer on another enquiry about this car a casually asked what use is an amp if its not really required as it was removed as well as unplugged. He wasn't 100% sure but he thought it was to do with blue tooth ????. He had never heard of the quick fix I performed with the optic cables and only ever replaced units that failed with used units. He then recalled that the biggest problem they had with these amps were battery drain. I believe it may be the issue you guys are having presuming they may have similar systems. I hope that helps. If I'm right just bypass that amp and leave out the dead weight or replace it if you want blue tooth or whatever that amp is supposed to do. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts