SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huge recall this week that hits 2006 and 2007 model 9-7X SUV's.

There is the possibility for a short circuit in the power-window and door-lock switches that can cause fires.

Also covered by this are GM and Isuzu: Trail Blazer, Envoy, Buick Ranier, Isuzu Ascender.

So far GM has reported 28 fires among the 258,000 covered.

It is said to be caused by "fluid from road clearing chemicals getting inside the door and causing corrosion.

Dang, this sounds like the new wet spray they have been putting down as a emulsion before it snows. I remember commenting on this like 6 years ago when my work partner and I first noticed this oil like crap being sprayed. It shows up as a series of lines like a foot apart and they start hitting the main roads like 12 hours before it snows.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So that is why it seemed like there was only northern states I thought being mentioned in news blurb I heard... I hate salt, but this stuff isn't probably any better! I saw them using it in our work parking lot here now last year also...

Sounds like this is only drivers side replacement? I was hoping for passenger side also as my lights don't work on those switches! :roll:

Huge recall this week that hits 2006 and 2007 model 9-7X SUV's.

It is said to be caused by "fluid from road clearing chemicals getting inside the door and causing corrosion.

Dang, this sounds like the new wet spray they have been putting down as a emulsion before it snows. I remember commenting on this like 6 years ago when my work partner and I first noticed this oil like crap being sprayed. It shows up as a series of lines like a foot apart and they start hitting the main roads like 12 hours before it snows.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You also have to wonder about cars that have been moved about. Dealers often sell off stock if they have too many of one model or type on the lot and the wholesalers know no regional boundaries.

A car from Chicago may end up in Texas or SoCal with a few taps of the keyboard in the Internet Sales Department of a dealershiip.

I think any 9-7 owner who purchased used should track the history of the car and see if it had rust belt or northern roots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gents where can I find more info on this issue. Is there a website or will SAAB/GM contact you.
According to The Car Connection blog, (http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1078616_gm-recalls-249260-mid-size-suvs-for-door-fire-risk)

"As the remedy plan for the problem is still being finalized, the notification schedule to owners has yet to be determined. General Motors will notify owners of Buick, Chevrolet and GMC vehicles involved in the recall. Isuzu Motors will notify Isuzu Ascender owners and Saab 9-7X owners will be notified by Saab Cars North America. In the meantime, owners of vehicles involved in the recall may contact the following:

• Buick – 1-800-521-7300
  • Chevrolet – 1-866-694-6546
  • GMC – 1-866-996-9463
  • Isuzu – 1-800-255-6727
  • Saab – 1-855-880-0808
The General Motors safety recall campaign number is 12180.
Alternatively, owners of vehicles involved in the campaign may also contact NHTSA’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or go to http://www.safercar.gov. Reference the NHTSA campaign ID No. 12V406000."

·
Registered
18 Posts
To my understanding....the emulsion you speak of is most commonly the byproduct generated from the beer making process and is not corrosive. Whether they add anything to this boundary layer solution in NJ I can't say....but I'm guessing the majority of the corrosion is still created by the copious amounts of salt used in the rust belt. :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did anyone hear any more on this lately? I received a recall notice in the mail over 2 months ago saying the dealer would contact me when they have parts available... Nothing since. Hard to believe they have nothing yet! :confused:

I am curious exactly what parts they are adding or replacing here? Is it an entirely different control switch panel on the door, or perhaps something as simple as a fuse-able link in case it shorts out? Just starting to make me nervous as we are in the midst of the salting season here now! :roll:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I visited a Chevy dealership here in Tampa and they said they can do the recall once you have a copy of the recall letter. They also said you can take it to any GM dealership and issued will be addressed.

Eon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also received the notice a while back. It stated that when parts are available the recall letter will be sent.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
epereria, with a FL address, you might not even be covered. I just did a quick summary but I think the coverage only addressed vehicles in the areas where the salt and chemicals are used.

I suppose if you used the car for pleasure or business and frequented such areas perhaps on a few ski vacations to VT you may sway them.

I would get a Carfax and trace the ownership of the vehicle since at times they are moved from and to dealers out of area or perhaps the original owner was from NY?

Hmmmmmmm? Is it possible that every owner may or may not get a notice based on the current zip code?

The reason I suspect the new emulsions is that why suddenly do these issues pop up .. and the article did say fluids ... not the solid traditional calcium chloride that is put down as a solid. That too is corrosive but perhaps the penetration capability or residual characteristics of the new stuff is not yet understood.

Indeed, too early for "objective" comment but the new pre-treat went into use 5 or 6 years ago and now this? Of course it may be a "spurious variable" .... something that just appears to be related but isn't. But it deserves a hard look based on the timing alone. It certainly may be the design of the window seal too. I was getting soaked carpets in my 08 9-3 and it wasn't the usual door strip or window seal. After much hair pulling and frustration, I traced the leak to the door handles. It seems that the outside portion of the door pull/handle actually is not tight or has a gasket. It lets water seep into the door and there is a rubber strip of about 6" X 6" that deflects the water toward the drains in the bottom of the door. When the rubber strip fell off it changed the course of the water soaking my carpets. This was behind a foam/Tyvek layer behind the door panels so it was hard to see. I couldn't imagine a design that let the water in (except for the latch itself of course), but that's .... our cars are starting to go from basic machines to Rube Goldberg or Airbus thing-a-ma-jigs. :roll:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Do a Google search on "GM brake line rust" and you will see that there is a potential 6.2 million GM pickup trucks that were equipped with steel brake lines that quickly rust (at 20k to 30k miles) due to the winterizing chemicals. Mine failed in the driveway, but many have failed on the road and in some cases, total braking was lost due to simultaneous rupturing of both hard lines from the master cylinder to the ABS controller which is located beneath the drivers seat on the inside of the frame rail.

BTW, GM does not make replacement brake lines - they have to be cut, bent, and double flared by the mechanic. Dealer estimates are $2k-$3k per vehicle.

This is the kind of recall, which if not enacted by the NHTSA will kill people and if enacted will kill GM... Ron

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang, at that point can you get those stainless braided lines swaged with fittings.

When you said 2 to 3 that was thousand right? :roll:

Holy crap. When I was a jet-mech we just poured sand into a line and bent it (sand kept it from kinks), these were the hydraulic lines for brakes, gear and all kinds of stuff. Then we would "swage" the end for the proper fitting.

It was about an hour labor and 5 cents for the sand and a $5 line.

Naval aircraft in a salt environment. The world has gone nuts. :confused:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I bought pre-formed/flared 1/4" stainless brake lines for $300 and copied them in steel. I installed them and am waiting for GM to issue the recall. The longest piece of old brake line that I removed was about 1' long. They just disintegrated as I pulled them out.

The next time you see a full sized GM pickup truck pulling up quickly in the rear view mirror, just hope it's not one of the 6.2 million trucks that are affected - especially if you're in a salt belt state... Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
GM Special Coverage for 2005-2007 9-7's

FYI......! When I picked up my 9-7 from the dealership today, I inquired about the window module recall. Ran the VIN, but it wasn't on the list. However, my service advisor gave me a copy of SAAB/GM Service bulletin(11323/15919), dated Feb 2013.

It indicates that if a 2005-07 9-7 in this special coverage demonstrates conditions or symptoms as described in the recall. SAAB Warranty Service Providers are to replace the drivers door module, regardless of the vehicle's age or mileage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine goes in for the recall next Monday. Sounds like they still are having issues getting parts for this fix as I had to wait 2 weeks to schedule this appointment. Now that winter is almost over I'm finally getting this fixed! :roll:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Update... My wife took our 9-7X in for this repair this a.m. They inspected it and said the switch was quite corroded and they replaced it. :eek: If it is not corroded they just put some sort of protective sleeve or plate over it I guess.

Glad mine was replaced and very happy it never flared up on us! I know the recall said to not park indoors till it was fixed, but this was a long winter and I got tired of brushing snow off the truck!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I went in to get mine inspected, they confirmed it is part of the recall and will replace it. They just are waiting for parts ( I guess they didn't stock enough north of the border )

·
Registered
242 Posts
I went in to get mine inspected, they confirmed it is part of the recall and will replace it. They just are waiting for parts ( I guess they didn't stock enough north of the border )
I think theres plenty of people south of the border that are waiting on saab parts from GM dealers as well :roll:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Holy burned circuit boards Batman! :eek:

Are you sure it doesn't? I thought it was from 05-07 years...

The downside on mine after the supposed fix.... Now the lights on those switches dont work any more and the inner door pull handle area is loose...:roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts