SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fun :(

Maybe someone could tell me the correct way to disconnect the appearingly simple connectors.. but I CANT undo them.

Im talking about the large block ones, about an inch wide, with 4 wires each side, and little side clips. Im compleatly unable to pull them apart and I was very tempted just to cut them off and replace with space/bullet crimp connectors.

The ones I have been trying to diconnect are
Direct Ignition. I want to do a compression test and would feel much safer with that disconnected.

Coolant temperature sensor? round thing that is part of the radiator just above the bottom hose. I need to disconnect this OR unscrew it from the radiator, so that I can bring the radiator indoors to flush it - filled with rust. Id rather leave the sensor in the radiator, becuase it will probably leak if I touch it.

One last thing.. do saab still use these connectors on more recent models? I would be very tempted to replace the current ones ith another type, ofcourse I would need to use waterproof ones that can handle the correct current.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim Mesthene said:
Slide the black locking sleeve back and remove the (top quality) connector.
Ill have another look but im 100% sure we are talking about different ones :p

this has clips on the sides, and no locking sleeve or any black parts from what I can see. Ill get a picture quick.

thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is this it ?

Look where the screwdriver is. Push in there. The red locking bit will slide out then pull the plug off.

The plug might not be on the end of the di, it could be slightly further down the loom.

The plug is the same for the fan switch too.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope my DI doesnt have any connector like that. The wires go straight in to the DI. To disconnect it there is 3 block connectors near the battery tray, and one ground wire going to the head. I dont know if yours has the same block connectors further back but those are the ones I mean...

Ill get a picture soon anyway.. going to play with car for a bit :)

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
You have the old style DI. New ones need an adapter harness to fit your car.
For your old connectors, a little soak with penetrating oil will loosen them up.

Sorry I had my Black and Red mixed up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Mesthene said:
You have the old style DI. New ones need an adapter harness to fit your car.
For your old connectors, a little soak with penetrating oil will loosen them up.

Sorry I had my Black and Red mixed up.
Do saab sell the DI wiring harness or should I have a look at the breakers for one?

this is the connector I mean.. from the fan thermistor switch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Usually just lift the tag & pull apart. Sometimes they can corrode or they can create a vacuum.

Just pull really hard & if it breaks then fit your own connectors anyway :)

I doubt Saab will sell the harness any more. Go to a breakers it would be much cheaper anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts