Registered
5,673 Posts
facepalm

electric is not the way of the future until we abolish fossil/nuclear

·
Registered
719 Posts
New SAab

IM glad to see the SAAB name continue but I hope that the new oqners dont discrace it with some cheap old school electric car that will only sell in China!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Can't see them being successful with electric. Market is too small at this time. Also can't see why they would give up a well designed car already ready to go for a "maybe" electric.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think there will be good appetite for electric cars once the distance capacities are increased and the charging infrastructure is put in place. The transition from fossil will then happen naturally. Not that far away, in my opinion. I look forward to it!

I'm glad for Saab. Hasn't Saab always been about forging into new territory?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think there will be good appetite for electric cars once the distance capacities are increased and the charging infrastructure is put in place. The transition from fossil will then happen naturally. Not that far away, in my opinion. I look forward to it!

I'm glad for Saab. Hasn't Saab always been about forging into new territory?
I'm not saying it won't work, but so far the numbers haven't been there. I believe I saw some numbers relating to the Volt @ 2500 units sold or leased and the Leaf at around 600 annual units. The problem right now is that the infrastructure is not in place.

My money (literally) is in the natural gas vehicle and I believe it will take off dramatically within the next 10 years. CLNE (Clean Energy Resources - T. Bonnes Pickens) has a deal with Shell to install natural gas filling stations across the US. WPRT (Westport) has the patents on many items that create natural gas vehicles and has deals with Ford (F250), GM, Catapillar, Navastar, etc. for their line of trucks. UPS and Waste Management are already up and running and saving tons of $$$ using them.

Now, admittedly, China is a different story and I don't know how they are set up. Additonally, the government could snap their fingers and create charging stations all over the place.

Electric or nothing scares me. I like the Volt and Prius concept, where you share the battery and engine. Friend of mine owns a Prius and was a "little disappointed" with 58 mpg on his car on a recent trip.

However, anything we can do to "fuel" alternatitive energy sources is good by me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Few weeks ago I have the chance to drive a Hydrogen electric car and it was pretty good 300K for $12 bucks ( think that this was a car for research so it is not mass production price) and the car was 7 years old technology with a big tank in the back.

Sadly oil companies just want to make more money but high prices in gas maybe are not as bad as we think just because it make people think about alternatives and I think is the right way to go.

If Saab's new owner give me the possibility to build a hybrid or install an electric motor in my c900 that will give around 300K per charge, I'm in!!, but that is not going to happen like other cool technologies that will never reach any of us because we can't chose with what our cars run.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Few weeks ago I have the chance to drive a Hydrogen electric car and it was pretty good 300K for $12 bucks ( think that this was a car for research so it is not mass production price) and the car was 7 years old technology with a big tank in the back.

Sadly oil companies just want to make more money but high prices in gas maybe are not as bad as we think just because it make people think about alternatives and I think is the right way to go.

If Saab's new owner give me the possibility to build a hybrid or install an electric motor in my c900 that will give around 300K per charge, I'm in!!, but that is not going to happen like other cool technologies that will never reach any of us because we can't chose with what our cars run.
Hydrogen is NOT a fuel, but a storage medium, like a battery. You can't drill or mine for it (in any major amount) and has to be created by splitting water into its componant parts by putting more energy into the splitting that you get back by re-combineing.
I hate to hear anyone talk about a 'Hydrogen" car as viable alternative to "fossil fuels" like it can be refined from some sort of crude.
A hydrogen "fueled" car is more likely a Coal or oil fueled car, in that is likely the source of the electricity used to split the water.
Hydrogen is best used in fuel cells but you pay the price in how you seperate the oxygen and hydrogen, it is often a "dirty" and expensive process.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Everyone in the world can make hydrogen and is much cleaner to make than oil refinement and just the reason that everyone can make it it means that you don't need to transported around the world so you don't contaminate by shipping the product , you avoid oil spills and such to that have destroy and enormous amount of sea life around the world and you stop killing people too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes that is all true, but it still needs to be made with electricity and uses more power to "make" then you get back. SO we still haven't addressed the dirty problem as most all electrical generation is "dirty", coal, oil or Nuke.
I am not against it per-se, as long as you realize it is not a solution in itself. It is better to think of it as a "battery" or storage medium. if you understand that it take more energy to make then you get back, and that energy has to come for somewhere on the planet.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you could, but the amounts needed to power a car would need a very large solar array to make enough power to make enough hydrogen. Basicllly a "hydrogen powered" car is nothing more then an "electric powered" car. You are useing the same amount of energy to move the car but instead of the car expelling the polution, it is done where the the electricity is made to "make" the hydrogen.
Hydrogen is just a way to store the energy, and a storage media that has some serious drawbacks. To date we can not make a container for it that doesn't leak, our best efforts are when it is super-cooled to a liquid form, but even then it permiates any container made by man. Super cooling take more energy and that still comes from conventional sources.
The "greenies" would like to think it is a polution free energy source, but in reality you are just moveing where the polution is produced.
Which is why I say that you should not call it a fuel but think of it like a battery, which will need to be charged from somewhere with something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts