SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I took the whole thing apart before reading Bently's how-2... wound the drive strap (or whatever it's called) w/the whole thing on the workbench. Got it bak together, works fine. Definately did it the hard way.

2 questions:
- Bentley says the "gear rack" should be lubed w/multi-purpose grease. Forgive my ignornace... what kind of grease is this? And more generally, what kind of grease should be used for these nylon (???) geared assemblies. The odomenter has (what appears to be) similar parts. I used lithium grease in odometer (???///...)

- Bentley says to make note of the antenna tube (housing) prior to disassembly. Since my car had only an antenna (no motor), there wasn't much useful to note. :lol: I pulled (long time ago) separate antenna & motor from U-PULL yard so no notes that time either. :roll: What I'm wondering about: there is a notch in the bottom of the antenna housing, but no obvious mating locations. I thought maybe the side screws holding the housing in place, but I can't see how that would work. The housing will press all the way into the base 'till it bottoms out, but no mating notch down there either.

From what I can see, there's no purpose for that notch. Can anyone confirm this? Also, does housing go in 'till it bottoms out? And lastly, is there a proper orientation for that notch relative to motor housing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
black lithium grease is generally multi-purpose grease. and is perfect for this job. as far as re-assembly goes, dont worry so much about it now. when you put it back in the car with the brackets etc, it'll work itself out with a small bit of head scratching ;) :p

the antennas in these cars are a total PITA!!! im fed up replacing mine. they just seem to all have gotten to that age where they go grind/grind/grind/whir/whir/whir and a final Click when the relay gets bored:x

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jimmy... what's difference between white/black lithium grease? I've got a bunch of different grease including white (mostly used to loob window regulator & rails), but no black.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts