SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Possibly a very simple question....

My aerial (1998 9-3) is sticking when going down....soemtimes it sticks up about 6 inches, other times its only a couple of inches.

I've put some silcone grease on the mast, but all that seems to happen is that it gathers in a great bogey of grease at the top of the aerial.

So what can I do - is it as simple as investing in a can of 3-in-1 oil??? I can hear the motor trying its best to retract the mast the full way...but I'm worried that the motor will burn out compeltely after trying so hard....

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The motor won't burn out. They are pretty tough lil motors.
What sound like is happening is the teeth of the aerial are grinding.
There is probably the slightest of bends in the aerial causing it to stick. That is the #1 cause of problems like this. Greasing it is futile. All the grease it needs is inside that motor.
You can buy just the aerial cheap enough and replace it. I am sure that's all you need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice

Is replacement a fairly easy job for a very (very) average mechanic like myself - and dont suppose anyone knows of a good online retailer who can help with the necessary parts???

v grateful for any further help

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
As CleveSaab stated, grease/oil won't help you much.

I had the same problem. In my case, the segments were bent so that during retraction it would be stuck half way. It's not easy to see where and in which direction the bend is. I used a ruler and kept rotating it around and straightening it using my hands. After about 10min of doing it, it was looking a lot better. If the segments have been deformed so that it's not circular in places, you can use a file to reduce the high points.

All this may be a temporary solution although mine has been for the past 6months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ariel Sticking up??

I had the same proplem on my '98 9-3. I took it apart and noticed that the white cable is pushing out of the spool cup inside the ariel, leaving the ariel sticking and clicking. I know how annoying it is and see it quite often on other saabs.
Anyway what I did was trim down the edges of the cup that the white cable feeds into and put a washer on the top of the cup to compensate.
its easy to dismantle but takes time.
Saves you forking out for a new one.......try it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've had the same problem (sticking up 6 inches or so, but only a few seconds extra clicking). Greased it with Tri-Flow (teflon based lube), and gently pushed as it retracted.

Seems to get stuck after driving in salty winter conditions for a few hours straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts