SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm right in the middle of putting in my Eibach springs... should I cut the front bump stops?

One thought I have is "yes", since the car will be lower, you need more travel.

However, if the stock stops are designed to keep the car from bottoming, then it kind of makes sense that you'd want them the stock height... because you still need the same body to tire clearance when you hit a massive bump, right?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I figured this out for myself...

I measured the size of the wire in the coil and multiplied by the number of coils. When the spring (either the stock or the Eibach) is fully compressed (coils touching each other) the height of the spring is almost exactly the height of the bump stop. So, logic says that there's no reason to cut the bump stops - if the spring has to be fully compressed to hit the stop, then cutting does nothing except let you bottom the springs metal-to-metal instead of hitting the stop. Hitting the stop 1 mm before seems preferable.

I also finally figured out what that silly white ring that Koni gives you to put over the shock rod is for. It actually adds about 1/8" to the effective bump stop height.

Opposing views welcome on the bump stop cutting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I actually didn't put the front bump stop back in with my Koni shocks/springs. With the 1mm of space to hit the stop, it will compress and end up doing the same thing as without it. Spring will full compress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts