SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Off Topic

Out of curiosity, exactly what benefit does installing an EGT gauge in our cars have? I can see the practicality of this gauge (and many others) in that 800HP monster 93SS that Speedparts has, but if there's nothing you can do about it, why have it? Even if you've got Stage 1-3, there isn't a whole lot you can do as everything is still black-box.

I mean, it's about as novel an idea as having the turbo gauge in the instrument cluster. It's really nice to know the turbocharger has kicked in, but there ain't squat you can do (short of pressing down the gas pedal) to make that turbo needle do anything else.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly for morbid curiosity as to just how hot things are getting, especially with the boost running higher. I'm morbidly curious about the air/fuel ratio, too. Wondering just how lean it will run under given conditions, and how much that affects the egt. Or inversely, wondering how well T8 is doing it's job!

Right now, I can easily bury the gauge in the cluster when tuned, which wouldn't bother me much if it was calibrated somehow. "How much boost? Oh, about that much." I'm not worried about ruining the engine, as I have no probs getting decent gas, but I am (morbidly) curious as to how hot things are when tuned. I'm not running larger injectors or another fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
voodoochile said:
Mostly for morbid curiosity
well .. in that case ... ;)

You know, I think there was a thread that started in this forum (before it got quashed, EHEM..) regarding some different tools that plugged into the OBDCII port and recorded real time data. This would include the EGT.

I'd venture to say that this might be more useful when examining wtf is going on beneath the hood, outside of "well, when I turn the key (or my thumb) to the on position, it starts!" Seems to me that this real time data capture would help out a bit more if one were able to read it while sitting still. The only thing I can tell on my instrument cluster is: Higher the boost gauge = lower the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
mbodo said:
You know, I think there was a thread that started in this forum (before it got quashed, EHEM..) regarding some different tools that plugged into the OBDCII port and recorded real time data. This would include the EGT.
A standard OBDII reader will not work. You need a CAN-bus scanner. The ones I had found are basically an interface unit which communicates with the car and ports data to a Palm PDA or a laptop PC. They are very powerful and allow real-time monitoring of four sensors simultaneously! They also let you pull and clear error codes.

Check the web and ebay. They were about $200 last time I checked.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may go that route. I've already got a good small laptop with excellent battery life, plus I sold my old OBDII scanner when I bought the ss. I've been looking for a flexible CAN-compatible scanner.

It's not as though I am going to be driving down the road staring at the EGT or anything, I just want to know how it's running under certain conditions. I'm also curious about the fuel/air ration under hard acceleration/full boost while tuned. I might just work that out with a meter. I have a fluke with datalogging, it could plot the voltage drop across the O2 sensor. I'm actually more interested in the data than I am with appearances and having extra guages. I'm just one of those people who is more comfortable with some further insight into what's happening at what time, etc.

So, I'm still hoping that those few people who have installed an EGT guage will check in and share where they had their thermocouple mounted, specifically. Also, how responsive is your meter, and which meter did you go with?

The posts I have found are pretty vague with details. Thanks to all who have checked in thus far though. Mbodo's case in particular (the infamous incident) is of particular interest to me. I'd really like to have known what the a/f ratio and EGT were at the time. Morbid curiosity at it's finest.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hej !

We normally fit the thermocouple at the turbine inlet.
In a 9-3SS with a pulse split manifold you need two sensors.
Drill the holes in the exh. manifold just at the flange.
However, the 3 mm thermocouples we use can not be installed for
too long, they will break....and find the way into the turbine.
Quess if the wheel will be surprised ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts