SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my front brake pads, and I wanted to know if Genuine Saab pads from Eeuroparts.com were recommended by you all.

I am not needing to customize my car, nor get anything fancy; I just want it to run according to Saab specs, and I want the vehicle to last a long time.

These are the ones I'm getting: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/11471/Disc-Brake-Pad-Set-Front-93166943/ , ALTHOUGH, I get really confused since the owners manual lists off 2 different sizes- 11.22 and 11.81... Which one is correct??? Would these pads fit with both sizes?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Yes those should fit with no issues. It is only if you have the 314 front rotors that you need a different pad. Have you checked the rotors to see if they need replacing? There are a lot of brake threads here that you should check out. Akebono pads and ATE rotors seem to be a popular combo as well as EBC brand parts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes those should fit with no issues. It is only if you have the 314 front rotors that you need a different pad. Have you checked the rotors to see if they need replacing? There are a lot of brake threads here that you should check out. Akebono pads and ATE rotors seem to be a popular combo as well as EBC brand parts.
Thanks for the reply!

How would you be able to tell if you have the 314 rotors? I went through some of the brake threads, but they were more than 4 years old- at least the ones that I looked at, so I was hoping for some more recent info :)

I don't believe the rotors need to be replaced. How long to pads and rotors typically last? I'm at 55,000 miles, and will soon be getting an oil change as well as the 60,000 mile service.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I believe that Saab used different pad compounds over the years on the 9-3's. My 2006 had ceramics up front and mine still have a lot of life left at 97k miles; I figure I might just get 150k out of them. The rears however, only lasted 22k miles. Those were not ceramic from the factory on mine; since switching to Akebono ceramics I get about 40k.

Personally, I usually replace the rotors at the same time as they're usually getting pretty thin by the time the pads have worn out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went akebono and centric on both my saabs, biggest improvement is the cheaper price and considerably less brake dust. Generally you cant go wrong with OEM and eeuro has always treated me well.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

How would you be able to tell if you have the 314 rotors? I went through some of the brake threads, but they were more than 4 years old- at least the ones that I looked at, so I was hoping for some more recent info :)

I don't believe the rotors need to be replaced. How long to pads and rotors typically last? I'm at 55,000 miles, and will soon be getting an oil change as well as the 60,000 mile service.
you can use this to determine your rotor size. my placard is on the inside of the driver door:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/brakes.php

both GenuineSaab and thesaabsite.c*m, list the letter codes on the rotors they sell (AB,BA etc)

I recently installed Akebono pads, and R1 Concepts premium rotors.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went akebono and centric on both my saabs, biggest improvement is the cheaper price and considerably less brake dust. Generally you cant go wrong with OEM and eeuro has always treated me well.
Awesome, thank you! So, Akebono are OEM? Then what are 'Genuine Saab' pads?

you can use this to determine your rotor size. my placard is on the inside of the driver door:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/brakes.php

both GenuineSaab and thesaabsite.c*m, list the letter codes on the rotors they sell (AB,BA etc)

I recently installed Akebono pads, and R1 Concepts premium rotors.
Perfect!! Thanks for that!.. What made you choose one pad over another and one rotor over another?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Are you sure you need new front brake pads? I'm at 90K miles and have 80% of my pads left. I've never seen front brake pads last this long. These may out last the car! The rears were shot at 55K. I should have put ceramics on the rear as the semi-metallics are shredding the rear rotors. My front rotors and pads still look newish. It's freaking amazing! And I'm a fairly aggressive driver...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure you need new front brake pads? I'm at 90K miles and have 80% of my pads left. I've never seen front brake pads last this long. These may out last the car! The rears were shot at 55K. I should have put ceramics on the rear as the semi-metallics are shredding the rear rotors. My front rotors and pads still look newish. It's freaking amazing! And I'm a fairly aggressive driver...
Hey! Yeah, mine are squeaking like nooooo other! It's veryy very annoying. When I bought the car a month ago, they did a 'brake service', but they squeaked really bad.. took it to a Saab tech, and he said they put the wrong pads on.

I'm still debating on either the genuine saab and the akebono ones. Any info?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
johnrobert.i
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing