SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if your a Dame Edna owner (2006-2009) then you are likely no stranger to the fact that we have the least loved body style out there. Maybe you too (like me) are unsatisfied with the looks of your Dame but are not sure what to do.

Well, I was in the process of replacing the bumper on my 06 but couldn't bear the thought of just painting another Dame Edna bumper without changing something. Sure I can cover the chrome, but isn't there something else I could do? For me, the worst part of the front of an Edna is the lower half of the front clip. It is almost as if the designers decided to stop caring at the bumper line and then just threw the most basic utilitarian design on the bottom part. I mean, even the way the bottom of it is shaped makes it near impossible to even put a decent lip on the thing. About the only thing you can do for that is to do some cosmetic surgery. The few Ednas I have seen with a body mod are where someone takes one or two 9-3 bumpers (2008-2010) and plastic-welds welds those to the lower half. Those I have seen looked great but that isn't in my budget. So here is what was...

Long story short: I bought a brand-new Chevrolet Impala (2006-2010) lower grill, flipped it upside down, made a template and fit it to my Edna. Cost me $30 from ebay and another $25 for a 4.5" cut-off wheel from Harbor Freight. Still a work in progress...

The only real drawback for me is that the grill has a very subtle point at the center of the chrome ring and the contour of it is only about a 98% match to the SAAB. Some shear luck on my part is that it worked out perfect for the original inner grill plastic to bolt back up (major cutting needed) to support the back of the new grill so it is secure. A couple more brackets on the back to hold the chrome ring tight to the bumper and it is off to paint. A close eye might notice in the top photo that the plastic grill insert is installed but I have cut out all of the bars/ribs. The plan is to install some type of mesh but I am undecided on the design right now. Now that the Impala grill is installed, I'm also torn on weather to paint all the chrome black or keep it now that the lower part is accented as well. Maybe more chrome even? I'm open to suggestions...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish you had not posted this :roll:

I have been doing a lot of mechanical work on my 07 Aero Estate and while I had the front bumper off I was amazed how much space was available between the plastic bumper and the actual mechanical bumper. From a side perspective I have always thought that the nose was a little too pointed and like the NG 9-5 or even the 9-3 noses better. Thinking how difficult it would be to flatten the lower part a little without going crazy.

Curious how this plays out.

My 2 cents on the chrome is to go satin or matt black. Just a hint of change from the black paint but not so much bling.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after putting the bumper back together to see how to would work I came to the realization that I installed the grill too low. This causes the grill to be in at a slight downward angle and causes the upper portion to bow downward. So now I have to fill in the lower portion and cut higher up into the bumper. I also realized that to complete the look I needed some type of lip. I had a few options but I ended up getting a lip for an Acura Integra (I know right) but for $30 how could I go wrong? Still a long work in progress especially now that I need to get into real body work that I was really hoping to avoid but here are some teaser pics (I just tapped it on to see how it would look)...

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
ya good work here. I am totally not liking the Impala grille but the acura lip is a winner in my book.

its all so much work to do however.

keep at it. Black chrome would be cool for the accents like the old Cadillac Catera. Maybe hydrodip for the effect on the chrome pieces. Satin paint finish would be easier for you but paint chips...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think it's a good attempt, but I agree with qwik...to me the chrome takes away from the look. I do think it would look awesome if you had a nice FMIC on there though.

The Acura lip looks great though. If I didn't think I'd rip the thing off the first time I pulled into a parking spot I'd check into getting one myself. The stock ride height on the sport model already sits low enough to scrape at times.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's a good attempt, but I agree with qwik...to me the chrome takes away from the look.
^^^ Yeah nothing really goes with the SAAB style chrome so in the end it will all be covered. I was really looking for something I could install with minimal work and that matched somewhat close to the factory design. Unfortunately it will take a lot more work for me to be happy with it. The grill really wont stay secure and the lip doesn't wrap to the edge of the wheel openings so I need to add about 2 inches of plastic/glass to each side. I know nothing about body work but I am getting a crash course for sure. I guess it is a good thing I have two more bumpers just in case. I have also been looking into grafting a griffin style 9-3 lower grill and fogs onto one of the bumpers. Aside from the fog surrounds, the prices for the factory parts are pretty reasonable, but that is for another day.

And yes, the end game plan is a FMIC with SAAB painted on it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly not much. Other projects like brakes and suspension got in the way and the impala grill got ripped out in a car wash so it has spent most of the year with an unpainted bumper with a giant hole in it. I also waited 6 months for my 9-3 griffin fog light inserts to get sent from Sweden and decided to go a different route with the design. I'm also down to this as my only vehicle so long projects are not a current option.

I've got a hood at a body shop right now and the plan is a hole cut above the turbo without it looking like a rice mobile (nice mesh insert and a panel for the winter). I am going to have them remove ALL the chrome on the hood and fill that in with steel as well as remove the badge and washer nozzles. I was looking for a way to literally remove all of the chrome completely but those silly corner markers are the Achilles heel for that option unless you want to start fabricating fenders. So right now the plan is do go black chrome with the remaining bits on the bumper and markers...

Once winter is over the bumper is coming off again and I'll have some fab work cut out for me. I have a 9-3 Aero and 9-3 Griffin lower grill I plan to make into 1 grill and use that instead of the impala grill and then compliment that with the Griffin fog lights. I'm also debating on weather I want to take my new headlights apart to add some LED bars or halos but that is a big gamble. I've got lots of body foam, filler, fiber glass, carbon fiber and resin and finally all my parts so let the fun begin.I guess you could say at this point I'm making a 9-5 "Griffin clone".

My projects always seem to take forever lol. I've envisioned what I want this thing to like look for years but getting there is a long road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
some good ideas though! i must admit i hate the edna look too, i have looked at several ways to improve mine but its just not a good shape, the headlights look weird too, i would like to swap out with an 05 front end on it,

·
Registered
53 Posts
well there was a guy on here that put an 07 front on his 05 model wagon so should work, apparently doors are the same on all model years so any bodyline must be same too, it would require everything from hood, fenders lights etc, if you found a cheap part out it would be worth doing, i am thinking about it, my buddy said to just buy earlier model but the later ones are more powerful stock

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Parts are in but still a long way to go

So it has been a while since I updated this but the project is still on track. My 9-3 Griffin parts showed up this week and the lower half will be mated to the upper half of the stock Edna bumper. The kit came with everything you would need so I'm hoping it will look and function like it was stock from the factory.

I'm also getting the chrome on the hood completely removed, badge delete and a vent added above the turbo to extract the heat. While I'm at it all the rust will be taken care of on the fenders, hatch and doors and completely repainted and my bridge spoiler will be added. Unfortunately the shop wont be able to start the project until July and likely wont be done until early September but for the quality I will get at the price I will pay I can't complain. So in the meantime I got another 9-5 Aero for a daily and will have time to get that shell out of my driveway.

So a slow process for sure but hopefully before the leaves fall this year the body work will be done. Then it will be time for new wheels and maybe start the engine build.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
What? I was double thinking to rip the Edna face off and put that "beforeEdna" on. I have to do something about the undertray as there is almost none from the factory :-/ take a look at some Bimmers underside from 2003up, it's completely covered, much better underbody flow and a lower drag as result.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts