SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
I've noticed that Edmunds.com has a rather strong BMW bias, so anything that really closely emulates a 3 series will be a favorite among them. They've been really harsh on Saabs lately, especially Erin Riches, which is surprising since she owns a 900 Convertible. :confused:
In any case I think the V6 will provide the smooth and readily available power that can be a little difficult to obtain in the turbo fours. The V6 NG900 was always a very different car to drive than the turbo version.

·
Banned
975 Posts
Well there you have it, the new V6 stock only pushes .6 bar of boost. No wonder it seems under powered, the current inline 4s push what, .85 bar? Get a boost controller and have some fun :cheesy:

·
Registered
177 Posts
A couple of weeks back, Saab had a roadshow for the new 9-3 Sportcombi, and I asked one of the guys about the criticism coming in about the "flat" sound despite the new exhaust system, and he claimed that the "real" version that has gone through Saabs audiolab hasn´t been driven by a reporter yet and that the sound will improve for the marketrelease. I hope he´s right.

·
Registered
177 Posts
gcbrink said:
You might actually notice almost everyone has a strong BMW "bias". I think BMW just makes a better car.
I agree, sort of...BMW makes nice cars, but I think the gap is decreasing swiftly, the gap moneywise is not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Which one did you get rid of?
both actually have long been gone. the turbo was sold and I purchased a 1995 Land Rover Defender. the '96 V6 was leased and was turned back in as I was living in Japan at the time.

now we have the '04 Arc 'vert to round out the 4 Land Rovers that also are in storage.

Jaime

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Great article but what do they mean by "aging chassis"?

It is fun to drive, although the Saab's aging GM chassis and the limitations of front-wheel drive mean that it lacks the ultimate finesse of a 3 Series, or Mercedes-Benz C-Class.
Certainly they don't consider the Epsilon platform old do they? I mean of course FWD is an issue compared to the cars they mention, but the Epsilon platform is great compared to the truly aging chassis that the older 9-3 hatch was on - I think they got their facts mixed up on this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
gcbrink said:
You might actually notice almost everyone has a strong BMW "bias". I think BMW just makes a better car.
:eek:

Debatable, having sat in the old 3-series, I was pleased to get out of it. Yes, it might handle as well as an elise but the Saab is so much better in a lot of other respects....

Besides BMWs are as common as taxis in europe

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Anything that goes 3 years untouched is considered "aging" by automotive magazines. 5 years without a major revision (no matter how good it was to start with) & they will just call it "out of date" ...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I was also taken aback at the statement that a 3-year old chassis is "aging." The departing generation of Bimmer 3-series has been in production since 2000, right? I can't recall ever having heard of the Bimmer 3-series as an "aging" chassis. Still, the term is relative and subjective. If the writer wants to consider it aging...that is his perogative.

As for the FWD, I do have some more sympathy for the writer on this issue. I have mixed feelings about FWD. I appreciate the packaging and safety advantages of FWD. On the other hand, even my 150hp 2.3 NA 900S breaks traction sometimes when I'm on the gas going around a sharp corner of broken pavement or in the wet. Whatever advantages FWD has, it suffers by comparison with AWD and RWD in the refinement category. Still, there is no need to say that the 9-3SS is outclassed merely because it is FWD. There are other FWD vehicles in the class that are not similarly derided - Volvo S40 and S60, Acura TL, Non-quattro A4 and A6, and the non-4motion Passat.

I hope SAAB offers both a AWD and FWD versions of all its cars - those who want the traditional FWD SAAB's will be happy and it will silence the carping of the automotive press and their minions. I normally see choice as a good thing.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Supposedly Epsilon-II should be out before too long and will be GM's AWD global platform. Last thing I read was that SAAB would be offering AWD by 2008, but hopefully sooner. I'll bet the lack of AWD is one reason this V6 is limited to the power that it is - I'm sure it could do a LOT more with the right tuning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The expected AWD and 250 HP engine will look mighty attractive when it comes time to trade in my '04 Aero! I just hope that it will be somewhat fuel efficient.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Propofol said:
The expected AWD and 250 HP engine will look mighty attractive when it comes time to trade in my '04 Aero! I just hope that it will be somewhat fuel efficient.
That is actually one of the only 2 negative points journalists have found here in Sweden. The new V6 gives almost exactly 10 km/litre (sorry guys for using the metric system, perhaps you could talk to George W?) in comparison to the current aero version (210bhp) that takes 0,8 litres to travel 10 kms. All figures are based on mixed driving (perhaps ypu have the same way of measuring fuel consumption, we have open road, mixed and city).

BTW, the other negative point was that the engine is a bit two strong for 2WD, especially on wet roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts