SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
SaabKen said:
Looks like clear tailight lenses are back (see sidebar) !! :D

Review was pretty much all positive. I want one !

9-3 SportCombi review - Edmunds InsideLine
They be stock photos, Ken. Not sure if it'll be the case when it hits NA roads. :cry:

Should be OK here in Oz though :cheesy: .

Great review.

·
Registered
82 Posts
They really liked it. A few quotes:

"Saab 9-3 SportCombi packs performance, practicality and a load of safety gear in an attractive package."

"the steering offers excellent feedback"

"The Saab's brakes feel good, too. The pedal is firm yet progressive, nose dive is minimal, and we didn't detect any ABS vibration or brake fade over several repeated hard stops."

"The V6 also gets Saab's first dual exhaust, and the sound is pitch perfect."

"torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants, and the V6 has lots of it. ... Most amazing, however, is that the SportCombi puts that power to the pavement without any torque steer."

"a serious driving machine"

"Interior fit and finish is outstanding"

·
Registered
314 Posts
I want one! I'm planning because of college to buy one after school, this looks like it may be that car, unless that new 9-2X is gonna be big, the C900 reborn deal.

G

·
"Well-equipped four-cylinder models will start at $26,900, and a loaded 2.5 Aero will sticker at $32,900."

Does that mean pricing has already been announced? That's pretty close to the current 9-3SS MSRP. From what I've heard, Saab's 2006 US prices will follow GM's plan to cut the MSRP and incentives to some extent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
apzer09 said:
That's pretty close to the current 9-3SS MSRP.
Should it not be close? the cars are very similar after all. In Sweden they charge about SEK 8000 (or approx $1000) more for the combi compared to the sedan.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
apzer09 said:
"Well-equipped four-cylinder models will start at $26,900, and a loaded 2.5 Aero will sticker at $32,900."

Does that mean pricing has already been announced? That's pretty close to the current 9-3SS MSRP. From what I've heard, Saab's 2006 US prices will follow GM's plan to cut the MSRP and incentives to some extent.
Those prices look pretty well cut to me ... the current four-cylinder Aero sedan ~starts~ at an MSRP of $33,570 (with no options) and tops out at $39,035 (with all options except auto tranny) ... this says the V6T Aero Combi will come "loaded" for $32,900. Now factoring the $3,000 premium they had initially said they would be charging for the V6T over the 2.0T ... yeah ... sounds like have greatly reduced pricing to me.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
apzer09 said:

Speaking about GM renewing the Employee Discount to Everyone program with a SAAB dealer (Cuesta SAAB in San Luis Obispo, California) yesterday, he mentioned that he hears that GM will probably extend the program past the current August expiration date. He's guessing it'll go until December.

I asked him if that would include the SportCombi when it comes out and he said he's just worried that there won't be enough of the SportCombis out, that GM won't be able to meet demand on that model. He said this has always frustrated him with GM (hot models not being available).

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
SaabKen said:
Looks like clear tailight lenses are back (see sidebar) !! :D
I believe it's a United States Department of Transportation (DOT) requirement that taillight/brakelight lenses be red. That's the lenses themselves, not the light emitted from them. So unless I'm wrong, I don't think SAAB will get away with the red LEDs behind a clear lens like they're doing in Europe. Like Swade wrote already, those photos they used are the stock ones from Europe. Note the Europe-only navigation system in the interior photos.

I'm pretty sure we'll get the red taillights in the U.S. like the U.S. press photos showed.

Just as you can buy clear blinker markers from Europe for your U.S. SAAB to replace the orange American ones, I'm sure you can buy these clear lenses from Europe when the SportCombi comes out if you really want them.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been confused from day 1 of news of SC about that because USA/Canada both have numerous other vehicles that feature clear tailight lenses (not lights themselves, as you said). Two examples come to mind, the Altima and Prius. So if they don't require red lenses I don't know why the SC should ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
They don't require red lenses. They require red reflectors that point backwards, and they require red lights as brake lights.
The problem with clears that punk kids get in trouble for is because they don't have red reflectors, so they aren't DOT. DOT ones in sport truck magazines have red reflectors on them.

As for GM employee pricing going until december, I doubt it. They are already down to 48 day supply, and that will go down more this month. The employee pricing will never apply to 2006 models. They have already stated that they are revamping their price structure so they don't have to use rebates to sell cars anymore. They would love for all their dealers to go to the Saturn model, with no negotiations on new car price, only on trade-in.

G

·
Saab still has a 91-day supply, though those are probably mostly 9-5s. They really need to get rid of their inventory before the 2006's start showing up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts