SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all i want to thank all of the people that has really helped me out on my car a lot of good stuff up here...
after writing with my problem on my 1989t the car just stopping not starting the check engine light that comes on for no reason it looks like the problem comes down to the ecu.
can i use anyother year for the ecu how do i find the right number that could work i see a few on e-bay and i want to make sure i use the right one.are they any that improve the car
thanks again for all the help up here
this car is a bit different from my 1973 vw

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
hey, i have an 89' turbo myself, good year! aside from some troublesome ecu's. you must use an 89' turbo car ecu. ebay is your best bet or if you get lucky a wrecker. too bad you not close to me so you could try my ecu to see if it was the issue! good luck and i'm always searching for stuff so if i come across one i will pm you.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
If the US ECUs for 1989 are the same as those for the UK, then you could swap to a different year. We did that on Alex's car. The ECU kept frying AMMs, which are nearly impossible to find for MY89.

We swapped both ECU and AMM, and swapped over wires in the AMM's connector for compatibility. More information here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41345

Doing that means you lose the dodgy MY89 ECUs forever.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Matthew is correct, you do NOT have to use an 89 ECU on an 89 car. if I recall the 89 uses a pink label 0 280 000 570 (the last 3 are the important numbers, all the first few are the same for all ECU's) you can use any 1989-1993 900-Turbo ECU, I'm not sure about the UK models, however every 900-turbo 89-93 that I have seen has always had a 0 280 212 013 AMM- so that should not be an issue. some of the ECU's that should work are-
0 280 000 948,
0 280 000 566,
0 280 000 582

or of course the original-
0 280 000 570

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you guys so much
this has been a great help
to bad i lost out on e-bay on the 948 yesterday

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ecu repair

so after i get my new ecu and if my problems go away i will have this spare ecu. without sending in somewhere to get fix can it be done at home?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
From what I know you (dealership) has to send it in to get fixed, still costing alot of $$.....easier just to keep an eye out for another on ebay for $50.

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts