SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the ECUs have the VIN encoded as well as the immobilizer/security code embedded?

Reason I'm asking, I read that(in this forum somewhere) the EU ECUs have more potential in upgrading then the US ECUs. And was wondering before I go ahead and order a EU ECU, that I wouldn't run into a roadblock trying to bypass the immobilizer and VIN. I have an 03 2.0t Linear and am going to be a guinea pig to try different methods to gain the maximum potential of the engine. The car is paid off and the warranty is irrelevant since my car is at 77K in the OD. So pretty much I could play around with it.

The hardware isn't an issue to me as I can fabricate the DP and exhaust. As well as the pipings to mount a FMIC and a new manifold to mount a larger turbo(this is a maybe, as it may be good for drag but not for everyday reliability) Or just get a GT28RS turbo and call it a day. All of the fabrication are going to be done by TIG welding using SS pipings.

Though the plan is still on paper and would like to put it in motion by winter. The only thing that may cause the delay is the software. I need to find the best route to match the software with the hardwares. I was thinking about having SQR to do a custom programming or just pay a MIT kid to hack into the ECU in exchange of my old TI90 calculator. LOL! Any suggestions from you guys would be great.

·
Registered
943 Posts
wow! thats GREAT. if I am not wrong, I was the whistle blower on the ECU thingy.

anyways, I hope that the EU ECUs can work on your car. I got a feeling that it might not. there are a whole lot of other ECMs and sensors and different positions of sensors due to required readings for the ECU to work. No two cars are actually alike even in asia or EU. The thermostat for different regions in the same country are also different due to temperature activation. SAAB is a really intelligent car, and its not just cause of the T8 ECU. SAAB is really ahead of the competition in terms of technology. I think that it was Saab that actually came up with the sharks fin attenna before everyone else copied it.

Ok, back to your ECU thing, It might cost you US$600 tops to get an ECU for your ride, and getting SQR to tune it would set you back some more. this, I have no clue, but if it works, it opens up a whole new set of mods for the US guys.

on another note, for those guys who got the EU delivery type of cars, any issues with the mods? if that works, I suspect that it could be the way to go for many repeat owners..

·
Registered
943 Posts
oh darn, I just saw that you have a 2003 car. you'll notice at least 2 O2 sensors at your DP. one before and one after the CAT. you'll have to play with that to if you're going to fool the ECU, unless SQR can work around it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dach

If the EU ECU have different readings then the US ECU, well, it would be a waste to get it. Though were not sure as its only a speculation from the difference between the two ECU. All in all, either one can be cracked and hacked if provide the programming language that the ECU is written under. ;)

I'm not too concern with the DP. As I'm going to fabricate the 3" DP with the O2 sensors the same position as stock and integrated it with a race cat from magnaflow. Which I believe BSR did they're DP minus the magnaflow cat in replace with Ferrita race cat.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ok, with the 03 cars, it measures the difference between before and after the cat to get a reading. if that reading is too far apart/near, it will cause the CEL to come on. unless you are going to either play with resistors or position to get a similiar reading. but I think thats going to be hard to do, cause the heat/gasess emitted is not linear or based on just difference in reading. it will refer back to a map thats on the ECU. thats just what i think.

as for the EU and US compatibility, I am hoping for you guys across the pond, that there aren't any differences. but from what I know so far, there are a whole lot more things that are different that what the eye can see..

I believe BSR uses the 100 Cell cat, but placed it at the end of the 3" dp. the tuning compensates for this. Nordic uses a 2 x 100 cell cats, just after the turbo and at the end of the 3" DP. me thinks that this is more earth friendly as well, but it does add a teeney weeney bit to restriction of air flow. Nordic also compensates for this.

Good luck with the mods. You might want to consider working the injectors, fuel pump and FPR based on some research thats currently in place here, especially if you have someone who's cracked the code.

but if it doesn't work, please don't crucify the experiment. take it as just one more step that doesn't work.... yet..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info Dach. Thats why I love this forum, its guys like you with knowledge to share. Good stuff!

I'm definitely taking this one step at a time. From you and other members of this forum of what I read that our cars are really finicky.

Now that I know BSR uses a 100 cell cat at the end of the DP. I'm going to see if I can replicate it. I might just fabricate two variation of the DP. One with one cat and one with two cats. And test both out on the dyno.

Before I can install any hardware. I still need to figure out which is the best route for the software, since this is crucial to mate any new hardware to the car. I'll have to do more research on this part.

I'm going to source the Fuel Injectors from Maptun. As for the fuel pump and FPR, what would be the best source to get these from?

I'll definitely take your advice Dach, on not crucifying the project. It'll definitely be an experience. Consider it a backyard R&D. :cheesy:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have benefitted from this knowledge cause I also have good pals over here willing to try things that others say is impossible, and make it possible. Doesn't work all the time, but when it does, its like star trek.... going where no one has gone before.. ha ha

As for the FPRs and stuff, I think you'd better take your time. work out what you have first and see how it works. you might not need it.

Me, I don't have the time, or $$ to go beyond what I have at the moment. and since my ride is also crucial to my job, I can't have it sitting in the garage more often than it should.

As for BSR/Nordic using the 100 Cell CAT, I have to clarify and say that its from what I saw rather than what I know. but what type of 100 Cell CAT, I have absolutely no idea. now thats where the experimentation starts... The one am using is a 100 Cell CAT used in most japanese car mods. I have to get info from the exhuast man, but at the moment, time is of the essense in my job. I can only visit him in Dec I suppose.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well, maptun is a full ECU replacement, as you take out your old one and install this one, instead of the reflash like BSR, etc.

Anyways, i'm just excited as i've heard great news from Maptun USA and they're ready to send me the Stage 4 ECU and Turbocharger, should have it installed, real soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts