SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an abbott racing ecu upgrade. The upgrade calls for all the mods I currently have, and in addition an upgraded wastegate spring, which I dont have. Now here is where I need clarification. If I dont use an upgraded wastegate I will not be able to see the full potential of this ecu. If I use an mbc with the ecu, I will have the power, but wont have control over the ecu's boost control in first and this could be potential hazardous to my clutch and trans. Is there anything you guys would add to that info or correct me on anything?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The spring will work to make sure you can hit peak boost. The factory spring just isn't strong enough.

The ecu will control the boost just fine without the mbc. It may or may not limit the boost in 1st or 2nd depending on what abbott does for their boost maps (if that's what they're called). Unless somebody on here knows first hand from the abbott guys, you'd have to ask them.

I will be putting my factory bps back on when I get an ecu and taking the mbc out. I will be glad to be rid of the all the sprikes and constant adjusting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently my ecu upgrade is going to come with the uprated wastegate. My question is if it will be necessary to install this wastegate, or is the stock wastegate capable of holding 18-21 psi.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My car is Abbott'd from new and boost is capped at 17.5psi in 3rd & above according to my gauge. Boost in 1st & 2nd gear seems re-mapped at "sensible levels" above stock (ie I get wheelspin if it's wet, but generally not if it's dry). Consequently I've never thought it necessary to also connect an MBC into the mix. One thing you may want to do if you've not done it already is upgrade the by-pass valve - I'm on the forge recirculating and it's fine. (Get it from Abbott and they should also make sure it's got the right spring in it)

As for the clutch, my car has 112,000 miles and the clutch has recently started to slip under hard acceleration in 4th & 5th. I don't know all the history on the car, but if it's still the original clutch it's lasted pretty well for 240bhp. Otherwise I guess 55,000 miles per clutch if it's been changed already.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have heard the stock wastegate is goof for 18 psi max. But there probably hasn't been any extensive testing done on this. If you're going to be getting anything above 20, might as well upgrade to be safe.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thanks a lot. Actually the guy i'm purchasing this ecu from said that he was able to spike to 21 psi using an mbc with his abbott ecu, but generally had it set at 18, close to what you said.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I think this will be my last question. How would I install and tune the new wastegate. Hopefully its not too involved. Thanks guys for your info!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Nick gave me a breif glipse at the install. In his words: "You pop the top off the w/g and take out the old spring. Some come right out, other need to be torched. Then you just put a tiny spot weld to hold the new spring in. Once this is donw you pop the top back on." I have never done this or seen it done, so I'm not sure how simplified this version is. I do know that he will sell a whole upgraded unit and you can send him yours back as a core. Email or call Nick for more info.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckily I think I'm getting the whole unit, not just the spring. I guess it will be self explanatory then?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Correct advice

Abbott Racing will have Given you the correct advice either in the united kingdom or internationally .

my last 900 was abbott Ecu , they supply and fit a new upgraded wastegate actuator to match , without it , you will not reach the very noticeable potential . it can be easy to incorrectly fit the Wastegate actuator so beware of this before trying it yourself .

i Ran mine for about a week until i fitted the Mbc aswell , and the Mbc made a huge difference again .

Abbott Racing will give you all the instructions and advice and can be well trusted . My Last abbott racing ecu was fantastic , i am only going with SQR this time for a change ( the hell of it ) if i can ever get the guy to get round to doing it for me ( i think hes a busy man ).
;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm not sure an mbc is even that good of an idea with an ecu. Think that when an ecu is being tuned, basically the tuner can set the psi at anythign he feels is a safe limit. Typically this will be a hair under the max, to be safe. Now if you really wanted, that tuned could probably up the boost a little bit through the ecu. My thinking is that if the tuner only puts it so high, its probably for a reason. To much more beyond that isn't too safe. And why else run an mbc if you don't want more boost?

·
Registered
180 Posts
interesting theory , but we are only talking about 225 - 250 Bhp cars here really not oversized turbos . i admit the APC gets overridden as far as limp home functions anti knock etc etc but the rev limiter still remains and these cars are very strong and capable of much higher psi , adding the mbc and having the mbc almost open fully ( although with the abbott racing ecu is a bit too much air for the fuel ratio ) is perfectly safe in my opinion .

i think 900's are pretty bulletproof .

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
TurboTempo said:
i admit the APC gets overridden
I trust you mean boost pressure solenoid?

TurboTempo said:
but the rev limiter still remains
Yes, but an mbc does nothing for increasing rev limiters.

TurboTempo said:
( although with the abbott racing ecu is a bit too much air for the fuel ratio ) is perfectly safe in my opinion .
This is my very point. How is this safe? On a stock ecu, the maps are set up so that the car can run higher boost safely as we all do. But on a tuned ecu the boost is already turned up to 20 psi or so due to more aggressive maps. To turn it up any more is on the limits of the stock fuel system. When an ecu gets tuned, more than just the boost is increased, allowing for higher levels. Why would a tuner make the ecu control lower boost than is safely possible? Tuners are going to want the best dyno charts for their ecu's. To add boost to their maps that weren't intended for any more than the tuned ecu allows for is going to mess up with these dyno charts with negative results.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ok

ok well lets get back to 900ed , hes not going to need an mbc is he ?
once hes Ecu remapped AND he has a wastegate actuator upgrade , he should be perfectly happy and have no need for that little extra ( arguably safe ) boost that a manual Boost Control Solenoid can provide .

good luck 900SEed

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yes, don't forget your BOV or BPV

"One thing you may want to do if you've not done it already is upgrade the by-pass valve - I'm on the forge recirculating and it's fine. (Get it from Abbott and they should also make sure it's got the right spring in it)"

Just for info these are the ratings of the springs for Forge:

Valve Spring color coding

Green - 5-15 PSI

Yellow - 15-23 PSI

Blue - 23-30 PSI

Red - 30 + PSI

The above figures are estimates only and should only be considered as a guideline

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for getting back on to the point for me. Right now I have the green spring in a Forge Bov. Hopefully I'll be running close to 18psi with the new ecu, so I think I might just throw a shim or two into the bov.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts