SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , im not having a lot of luck with Sqr , i think frank is obviously a busy guy and takes forever to get back to me ,

i have done some asking around about the Maptun stuff , they said that with my hardware ( speedparts air ind. recirculating forge Dv and 3 inch downpipe/sport cat and sports exhaust ) i can have pre-programmed ecu exchange unit to suit which will make my car between 260-65 Bhp .

Can anyone with Maptun experience confirm this ? i really wanna make sure before i waste £470 on an Ecu upgrade .

also they said i wont need an upgraded actuator valve , that i can use the stock part and if need be adjust base boost ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have a maptun stage 1 and it is really fast. mine is a 2002 9-3 SE HOT.

they don't like the speedparts intakes over there. I got scolded for using one. but they know alot about trionic. sine removing the intake and gooing with inbox sport filter instead I get better performance in the summer. cold weather it makes no difference.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i heard the problems is with the JR filter they come with not the design of the intake. Been looking for a new one

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
no actually Maptun said the intake "steals the engine hot air" meaning the air it draws is by no means cold air... much hotter than pulling air from the opening near the foglight... so the performance in summer suffers. in the winter this is not so much of an issue. I have not heard anything about the quality of JR filters. coud you elaborate on that?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Frank from SQR basically said the filters suck, actually the don't suck which is the issue, Jak also has found them to be too restrictive, and says even the chep ones on ebay are better, so I'm looking to switch to a conical style with the cone indent on the top of the filter as well. Im thinking of redirecting the the way the speedparts intake fits as well

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
jrbrangi said:
Frank from SQR basically said the filters suck, actually the don't suck which is the issue, Jak also has found them to be too restrictive, and says even the chep ones on ebay are better, so I'm looking to switch to a conical style with the cone indent on the top of the filter as well. Im thinking of redirecting the the way the speedparts intake fits as well
did he reccommend K&N instead or what?

I wonder if this is why Maptun switched, they used to sell JR panel filters with their stage 2 and 3 kits and i noticed a while back they abruptyl swicthed to K&N, and i think Nick at genuine is now carrying K&N instead if I am not mistaken....

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
By the time the air charge mass exits the intercooler, runs through the delivery pipe, passes through the TBTC and intake plenum and enters the cylinders, a twenty degree intake temperature difference is relatively insignificant. At speeds of 35 mph and better fresh air enters the bay through various openings in the front and creates enough of a little positive pressure front to displace much of the engine bay heat near the filter. Intake air temperatures at the filters of the various set-ups most likely will not vary enough to make it worth all the theory we are always debating. Also, you can easily supply some additional outside air to the Speedparts set-up by running a longer (and with a gentle bend in it), pvc pipe up to it just like is done with the air box modification, which should enhance the effect somewhat. (I have seen the concept referred to as a "cold air bath"). This just seems like so much work for a relativly low return. In my book, take all reasonable steps to maximize intercooling efficiency for the big numbers.

And the main quality issue I have seen with JR is the cheesy soft rubber collar that is clamped directly to a metal tube. Torque that clamp a little too tightly, and the collar is nearly destroyed. Otherwise, it is constructed every bit as well as K&N and the other mesh and gauze mfrs.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Jak said the same thing to me about the JR filters. But his reasoning didn't make much sense. For all I know, he had an argument with the JR guys or something. I'm sorta looking for a replacement too.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i trust jak, and Frank, they know there stuff, if they say that their crap and now most of companies are not carrying anymore, doesn't that say something about filter quality

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
air filters

so ..... now thats the air filters out the way .

what do ya think ? are maptun okay for stage 3 ?

i live in the uk , it doesnt get very hot here in the uk even in the summer .

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Sorry about the thread jacking man...

Maptun was my second choice. I only opted for SQR because Frank is coming to SOC so its less shipping time. I've heard like 6 weeks for maptun to U.S. But then, you shouldn't have as much of a problem there.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Group 9 performance sells maptun as well in the states, Same here with SQR my friend told me Frank was coming to the states and he had his software in his old 9000. The shop was 15min from my house, so I pretty much had to go:cool: Having car tuned in person by Frank when I was the only person in the shop was pretty awesome. Gonna go back to say hi when he comes back before SOC

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Not to thread-jack again, but I think that intake makes more a difference than you think, Saaboheme. I commute 50 miles one way and ventilation or not, my engine bay is still skillet-hot when I crack open the hood right after the trip. I honestly have never liked the aftermarket intakes I have seen with the air filter sitting backwards up in the engine bay. Personally, I like ERP and blaque_out's intakes the best-smooth tube from turbo to filter w/ the filter aimed downward toward cooler air. I also like the fact that these intakes ditch the rubber hose.

As for tuner brands, I would think Maptun and Nordic would be great for stage 3 and up. Why not go stage 6?:cheesy:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ref: I like ERP and blaque_out's intakes

hey no probs thread jacking at all in fact , youve got me thinking on the intakes now .

admittedly ive noticed a slight drop in torque but increased breathing higher up in revs , but the heat thing has always had me thinking .

can you post me a link to those air intakes youre talking about because they are all pretty much the same here albeit K+n , speedparts , abbott etc ?

i would love to have a decent one .

p.s. oh and as for stage 6 !!! no way .... new turbo ? new intercooler ? i dont even do track days i just like to be able to upset the occasional Jap car driver etc ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was thinking about taking the car over to a shop and having them take the little bracket on my speedparts intake and weld it back on in another spot so that it redirects the pipe down towards the headlight, probably the cheapest option how much could a quick couple of tacks with the welder cost.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
here is, in short, why i am currently running just an inbox JR filter with stock airbox with resonator box removed. some great advice from someone who knows the trionic software very well...

This is how it was explained to me.

"Trionic 7 measures by airmass/combustion. To get a requested airmass with a hot intake temp, requires more boost to reach the specifyed airmass.

This higher boost will cause a higher combustion pressure, that makes the engine to work harder to reach the requested airmass. And if the engine knocks under this scenario, especially at high rpm, could be the end of the engine. instead, if you have a colder intake air the boost will be lower, and the combustion pressure will be reduced to lower levels.

the ideal situation for the delicate Trionic 7 engines is, Reach the requested airmass , with lowest boost possible."

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Upgrades/Stage4/PreTurbo.html

That is Eric's intake, which was a speedparts or JR but he replaced the rubber hose part w/ another piece of aluminum pipe. As for blaque_out's search for it on Saablink. I GUESS he's still making them. His just looks like a giant u that goes up from the turbo and down into the airbox area.

Re: stage 6: Hey, new cars are getting faster and faster. We need all the advantages we can get! In 1994, there weren't too many cars that could do 0-60 mph in 6.8 seconds. Now, it's hard to find a good car that is slower than that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts