SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Complete noob here. My wife has a 2002 9-3 SE manual that we were thinking of selling but have decided against. She took really good care of it and we would not get equal value.

Anyways, I've started tinkering with it a bit. I replaced the rear anti sway bar after reading through many posts here and the difference in handling was incredible.

Now I'm looking to get a bit more power through a ECU upgrade. I know for $100 bucks you can get an remapping of the T5 system. I believe our 2002 has a T7 system though. So my question: Who out there is doing a remapping for the T7 ECU? How much? And what's the gain in HP and TQ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
in the earlyer stages, t5 and t7 cars see pretty similar gains from an ecu upgrade, a stg one is usually 30-40hp increase. Yes your 02 9-3 is t7.

Many people are doing tunes out there, including myself, prices start at 150 and go up from there depending on who you talk to.

My biggest advise, before you get a tune, change every fluid, filter, vac line and spark plug. (most people forget about the fuel filter,, ) all of the above are roughly 1.5-2hrs work total, and makes a monster difference in how well the tune takes to the car. Also have an idea how old/how much life is left in your di & MAF,

If you have any more questions feel free to email me
[email protected]

Mike d

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hi guys. Complete noob here. My wife has a 2002 9-3 SE manual that we were thinking of selling but have decided against. She took really good care of it and we would not get equal value.

Anyways, I've started tinkering with it a bit. I replaced the rear anti sway bar after reading through many posts here and the difference in handling was incredible.

Now I'm looking to get a bit more power through a ECU upgrade. I know for $100 bucks you can get an remapping of the T5 system. I believe our 2002 has a T7 system though. So my question: Who out there is doing a remapping for the T7 ECU? How much? And what's the gain in HP and TQ?

The most bang for the buck would be to download a copy of T7 Suite, read up on the documentation and users manual, check out www.ecuproject.com and decide how you want to go.

With a bit of hardware ($65 to $130) you'll be able to download the data from your existing ECU, modify it and (strongly suggested) upload to a spare ECU from a wrecking yard. Total cost is under $200, perhaps much less depending on the interface you choose. If you've some soldering, computer and electrical skills, the costs drop significantly.

You should be able to get upwards of 250 to 275 HP without making any other changes to the car. To move up to 300 HP and beyond, significant changes need to be made but if you keep it sane, you can have a lot of fun for not a whole lot of money.

If you're uncomfortable at that level of DIY, check out jzwtuning.com, very highly respected tuner, think he starts at $300 for a tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reponses

We've already replaced fluids, filters and plugs as part of the 60K mile service we just did. I was looking for plug and play ecu upgrades, in part because I feel like playing with the ECU is like staring at a perfect rubic's cube. If you start to tinker with it I may never get it back to what it was.

But I'll do a bit more digging into the ecu project and the T7 suite. I'll probably avoid messing with it myself since it is our only vehicle but I'll see if it is doable.

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
We've already replaced fluids, filters and plugs as part of the 60K mile service we just did. I was looking for plug and play ecu upgrades, in part because I feel like playing with the ECU is like staring at a perfect rubic's cube. If you start to tinker with it I may never get it back to what it was.

But I'll do a bit more digging into the ecu project and the T7 suite. I'll probably avoid messing with it myself since it is our only vehicle but I'll see if it is doable.

Just buy a spare via the used market and monkey with that.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Do you want to increase hp by a god margin, if so then the best things to get are a DP/exhaust (does not have to be loud) and an intercooler? These will get you "safely" to the stage 4 realm. If all you want to do is buy a tune and nothing else, then contact John and have him swap a stage 1 or two.

·
Registered
174 Posts
t7suite

I just did this on my 1999 (T5) and 2001 (T7) last week. If you have some electronics experience it's very easy to build a cable that works with t7suite. I picked up the connector from the junkyard for $5 and a Lawicel USB-CANbus interface for about $150. I haven't noticed any significant change in my '99 9-3 with a stage 2 tune. I haven't really driven my '01 9-3 yet other than to make sure it works and stopped entering limp-home mode (I also swapped in a 2.3L block on that one).

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
Jack:

Doing a little planning ahead here... what connector do you need? The one that plugs into the ECU? I might has well pick one up on my next visit at the junkyard. Is there a difference between the T5 & T7 ECU connector that matters for using the Txsuites? Or can you use the same one for both?

FWIW - my measly MBC and other minor tweaks... pumping my T5 to maybe 15psi, makes a definitely noticible difference. I would think your stage II T5 upgrade would be obvious unless something is holding it back.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ECU connector, etc.

Yes, you need the connector for the ECU. The connectors are the same for the ECU, but the pinout is different. Here's the pinout for each:

+12V T5(1, 48, 60) T7(1, 23, 43)
GND T5(24, 25, 67) T7(22, 25, 47)
CAN_H T5(62) T7(66)
CAN_L T5(63) T7(19)

If you get into a jam, you can also build a BDM interface, but that's down the road. I built one for my T7 but I haven't tried it on my T5.

I'm going to keep working with T5suite to see if I can get a better tune out of it. Hopefully tonight I can wire in a real-time connection to the ECU and see what's really going on.

I must admit that working on an ECU like this is a bit new to me. I'm used to bolting things on to get better performance. :cheesy:

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
Jake:

Don't the wizards give you a fast jump to a high boost level?

I'm an MBC guy, but with that in, the ECU's attempt to open the wastegate as soon as the boost builds is waylaid. So, stepping on the throttle even halfway gives you an immediate pull to the redzone that holds there while you accelerate. WOT is not needed.

I assumed that the tunes would do the same - leave the gate closed until boost builds to the limit and then open it, as opposed to the factory option of starting to open it immediately.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The BPC is controlled by the ECU that uses a boost request map to determine what boost level should occur at what throttle position and what RPM (also what gear). The 3 pictures below show that said map for a stock setup, stage 2 wizard tune and what would equate to an MBC (with a MBC the WG remains closed until a certain level is met (normally around 15PSI) the boost will then drop off until it drops below that level, then the WG will shut and allow boost to build again). Effectively the turbo (and exhaust gas flow) is what governs how much boost is made up to the point where the MBC limits it.

Stock.

Stage 2 Wizard (you can see only the last two columns change i.e. at or near WOT).

MBC.

Now the numbers in the boxes are just maximum allowable boost levels. So just because they are set a certain level, does not necessarily mean the turbo will be able to make that amount of boost at the specified RPM and throttle position.

FYI, a wizard tune will also make more adjustments with regards to timing, fueling, etc, that you wont get with a MBC but those I don't believe are governed by throttle position.

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
Nice, thanks :) I was litterally LMAO when I scrolled to the MBC graph :cheesy:
Really... my *** is gone!

Again, I was under the misinterpretation that the Tx Suite adn other tunes gave you that kind of a low throttle boost. I assume you can adjust the map to get more response earlier? It's really kind of fun that way.

EDIT: Is there a "replace all with 1.03" function? :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this isn't the common request but is it possible to tune the vehicle towards better fuel economy? I know with a lot of cars fuel economy can be raised significantly with the right tune, are SAABs the same way?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts