SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Saab 9-3 2.8t. When I bought the car, it had a tuned ECU.

I didn't get a stock ECU backup from the previous owner so now I don't have the means to restore stock ECU.

I am pondering on buying a Tech II. I think the ECU has the latest software from Saab.

Is it possible to overwrite the ECU software with Tech II even though it might be the same version?

After restoring ECU to stock, I would be able to take a backup with Lawicel canusb.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you go back to stock, you will lose the tune you have. Stock is about 260 bph. Are you sure you want to do this?

You can always buy another tune, I guess!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go back to stock, you will lose the tune you have. Stock is about 260 bph. Are you sure you want to do this?

You can always buy another tune, I guess!
I have bought a new tune already. Don't worry about my tunes ;ol; I just want an answer for my question.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Doing any ECU flash via Tech2 is risky as the speed is so slow and also as yours has already been modified Tech2 may not even let you do it.

I have done a couple of ECU updates with my own clone and its taken up to an hour to complete and puts a lot of stress on the battery as for some bizarre reason it runs the fans whilst doing it.So not for the faint hearted.

If you want to go back to stock my recommendation would be to purchase another 2nd hand ECU of the same part number for your car and then simply swap and marry the 2nd one. That way you would have both available.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I have a Saab 9-3 2.8t. When I bought the car, it had a tuned ECU.

I didn't get a stock ECU backup from the previous owner so now I don't have the means to restore stock ECU.

I am pondering on buying a Tech II. I think the ECU has the latest software from Saab.

Is it possible to overwrite the ECU software with Tech II even though it might be the same version?

After restoring ECU to stock, I would be able to take a backup with Lawicel canusb.
I do not think so, because TIS shows: You already have this version and update will not start at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not think so, because TIS shows: You already have this version and update will not start at all.
My SW versions are 55563997, 55573298 and 55563996. I think one of these is the calibration version, one is internal version and one external version. I don't remember the order.

One possibility is to find a stock 2.8t 9-3 in Finland and ask if I could take a backup of the ECU with Lawicel canusb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doing any ECU flash via Tech2 is risky as the speed is so slow and also as yours has already been modified Tech2 may not even let you do it.

I have done a couple of ECU updates with my own clone and its taken up to an hour to complete and puts a lot of stress on the battery as for some bizarre reason it runs the fans whilst doing it.So not for the faint hearted.

If you want to go back to stock my recommendation would be to purchase another 2nd hand ECU of the same part number for your car and then simply swap and marry the 2nd one. That way you would have both available.
Okay so I bought a stage 2 tuned ECU for an aero whereas I have a 9-3 vector same motor and transmission the seller told me I needed to marry the ECU with the VIN of my car but in 03 when my car was built it was a GM made vehicle there is no Saab dealer here and the GM factory here says they are not legally allowed to touch stop anymore because they went bankrupt. can anyone give me a link on the actual process of marrying the VIN number to the ECU and making this work because I've never done computer programming before and the dealer that made this car won't even touch it and they say that tech 2 cannot do it it gives you an option to factory restore the ECU but there is no way to do it. So I need somebody more knowledgeable 2 enlighten me

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Do u have Tech2 and GlobalTIS ?

if u have Tech2, install the new ECU (provided it is from a 2006 or before car), from tech2 ALL menu, chose add/remove, add control module, then select ECU and follow the prompt carefully.

no tech2, or ECU from 2007up then either give up the tune, or other programming interface is required

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do u have Tech2 and GlobalTIS ?

if u have Tech2, install the new ECU (provided it is from a 2006 or before car), from tech2 ALL menu, chose add/remove, add control module, then select ECU and follow the prompt carefully.

no tech2, or ECU from 2007up then either give up the tune, or other programming interface is required
See I want to keep the stage 2 tune I bought already on it. Can you refer me to a long of some sort that will tell me how to marry my new ECU to my car without deleting the tune that is on it

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
See I want to keep the stage 2 tune I bought already on it. Can you refer me to a long of some sort that will tell me how to marry my new ECU to my car without deleting the tune that is on it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts