SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would I find the ECU in a DI+APC 9000? The model year is 1990 I believe (late '89 on the door jamb sticker). Thanks!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I a guessing it is not

In same place as the later 9000's or you would not be asking.

They are in the aquarium, left side of car looking from drivers seat.
That is ecu in 93 on. APC is bolted to radiator top left.

However Grentarc will know for sure.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is the "aquarium". Sorry, but I'm a c900 owner and it is a foreign term to me. ;)

In 86-89 9000s, I've found the APC controller under the front left seat (driver's for us) and the ECU in the area under the windshield wipers (left side again, perhaps this is the "aquarium"?). On this '90 DI/APC 9000, I found that the DI ECU is under the seat, which I discovered looking for the APC controller. I still have not located the APC controller which leads me to wonder if the DI/ECU is also the APC controller or are they still seperate the way I had assumed they would be? I thought that Trionic was the first implementation of a combined boost/ignition contoller, but could it be that this unit also provides both in the same box? The DI ECU I found under the seat is part number 9119397 and looks similar to an APC controller with a larger connector. There are 38 pins in the connector. The engine is a 2.0L turbo.

·
Registered
630 Posts
In a 1990 9000 with the LH control module and the DI/APC box - for either the B202 2.0l or the B234 2.3l, you will find the control modules in the following locations:

The DI/APC box will be underneath the left front seat - Turbo cars had the DI/APC box, while N/A cars just have a DI box

The LH fuel injection control module will be underneath the black cover in the space between the engine compartment and the windshield. It will be on the left front corner - near where the brake fluid reservoir is. Look for a Bosch sticker on it and the box should say Jetronic on it. Don't pull the other module that is right by it, that one is the ABS control module (won't be a rectangular shaped box).

IIRC 1991 9000's with LH and DI/APC have the modules in the same location.

1992 9000's with LH and DI/APC both modules are underneath the cover between the engine compartment and windshield, right next to each other and the ABS brake module was moved to the side of the battery tray.

Trionic did not come until model year 1993, which combined both modules into one, on Turbo models. I have found a 1993 9000 CS that was N/A and it still had the LH and DI control modules.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The LH fuel injection control module will be underneath the black cover in the space between the engine compartment and the windshield.
This is the aquarium! Given this name because the drain blocks and it can get full of water, causing all kinds of havoc!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yes - my comment was meant for mmoe.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
What exactly is the "aquarium". Sorry, but I'm a c900 owner and it is a foreign term to me. ;)

In 86-89 9000s, I've found the APC controller under the front left seat (driver's for us) and the ECU in the area under the windshield wipers (left side again, perhaps this is the "aquarium"?).
Spot on. The area behind the false firewall under the plastic cover where all the A/C gear is located is the 'aquarium'.

My 1990 9k carlsson has the DI/APC box mounted under the front LHS (pass side) seat, but I believe in later year 9k's it's mounted somewhere else. Assuming your engine has a DI cassette, the APC box is the DI controller (hence the term DI/APC).

The fuel injection ECU is completely different and is located with the ABS controller in the left side of the 'aquarium'.

Craig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts