SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a kit I bought to help protect my ECU from failure since my original ECU already died. After my ECU died I wanted to see if there was something and after a google search I found a youtube video with a Saab mechanic that made a kit for heat and shock protection. Cost me about $90 shipped and the installation was super easy. Only thing is I don't know why the ECU ground has to be relocated since my original ground cable would still attached to the original bolt just fine but I did it anyways since I didn't see the harm in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I will have to comment on that, but heat is not a proven reason for ECU failures, i dont think anybody else experience temperatures as we do here in Dubai, yet we have limited number of failures throw the years ..

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm in AZ, so we're in the same thermal ballpark, though it's a tad cooler here. I agree with you.

There are cases of ECU heat failure, but not because the existing cooling design is insufficient. My ECU failure was a direct result of an engine bay cooling problem. It also exhibited all the symptoms of thermal failure as it died. I carried a can of freeze spray for a few days to keep it going till I could replace it. A good shot brought it back to life each time. If the fans, fan controller, thermostat and engine temperature sensor are all working properly, there's no need for essentially a $90 kit of spacers. The money would be better spent replacing any defective parts listed above.

FWIW, I can say with certainty that excess heat caused the injector/bypass valve driver chip to fail with the usual codes (it is a power IC w/heat sink tab). The rest of the ECU was still functional. Without fixing my engine bay cooling problem, I'd have just been feeding the car an ECU each summer.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I wonder why we dont have that much of ECU failures here!! Specially the ones with the injectors codes (u can see in the forum i was trying to buy one with these codes since ages cause we never saw this here and wanted to have a look at it).

maybe i will give it to the people here keeping their cars at top condition..

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It would still take awhile, Hus_sho. Since I got my car, the temp sensor always read too low, and a stuck thermostat was the last straw. That combination meant the passenger side fan never ran after shutoff and both fans ran too slow while moving. Even with that, the ECU lasted two summers here (only the really hot part of one with the bad thermostat) and who knows how many in Phoenix (warmer than here, and where all the POs were) before it started to slowly die.

EDIT: FWIW, automotive chips are commonly rated for -55 to +125 C operating temperature, so they're pretty tough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading posts of others having ECU failure, I just went with what seems to be the most popular opinion that heat and vibration have a big part in ECU failure. Maybe the main reason of failure is poor quality control or suppliers that provide inferior parts to save money, that wouldn't be the 1st time we see that in many 4cyl 9-3, we have the intake valve problem as an example. Blaming engine heat for part failure wouldn't be new, the heat from the V6 is blamed for killing batteries and coil packs. After seeing the kit I got, im sure someone could make their own for under $40 if they made their own heat resistant shield of some kind. I mainly got it in the hope that it helps prolong my ECU life, having no car for 2weeks sucked. I did send my original ECU out for repairs and was told it wasn't fixable.

I'll also look into my cooling fans and fan controller and see if they are working as they should. Since the thermostat is a cheap fix I may do that in the fall just to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Cool. I actually got an infrared thermometer to troubleshoot mine, since I already had engine bay cooling issues (which I thought were minor, silly me). That's when I put the pieces together on the problem.

My new ECU is well within its ratings now that I fixed the actual problem.

EDIT: speculation removed; no need to start another rumor. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
After reading this post I jumped online and bought a kit. I’m tuned. I replaced the ECU once. Total pain. To me it’s worth $90 and 20min install time for the chance that the gizmo works.

The inventor claims to be a Master Saab Mechanic; aka the guy Saab flew around Australia to deal with significant maintenance issues. He now owns a Saab repair/salvage shop. We corresponded a bit. He seems competent and dedicated to preserving these cars.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'll let you know if I measure any temp increases when I put the tune in mine. (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted him directly using his email. Don't think he has a website to order. I just PayPal him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts