SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 2006 Saab 9-3 aero's engine started shaking the other day. When I took it in they said it was a bad fuel injector on the 6th piston. After putting $600 into it they found out that it was actually a bad ecm. There are only 6 left in the country and it's going to be over $1,300. He said I can either send it into this site that we found and try to get it fixed for $250 (not for sure if they'll be able to fix it), or we can disconnect the 6th cylinder and see how long it'll last on 5 cylinders. Any thoughts as to what I should do? I also heard stealing the part from a junk yard wouldn't be an awful idea...?
Thanks y'all

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
More info on shaking. When accelerating? At idle?

You need to not use this mechanic anymore. They are robbing you.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Oh, and a bad ECM won't make one cylinder misfire. Most likely you need a coil because the V6 eats them like candy, but I await for answer.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
You're being robbed. How did they determine it was the ECM? Did they even try replacing coil packs at all? Those are more likely. You can easily examine the connector port on the ECM to check for corrosion or bent pins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I live near the western boarder of Wisconsin :/ he said the coils are all fine but idk if I believe that. The shaking is on idle and gets a bit better when the vehicle is in motion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and a bad ECM won't make one cylinder misfire. Most likely you need a coil because the V6 eats them like candy, but I await for answer.
It's only the 6th piston misfiring... Is this dude lying to me? Cause I ****ing work here and I'm not too happy if that's the case

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
It's only the 6th piston misfiring... Is this dude lying to me? Cause I ****ing work here and I'm not too happy if that's the case
Do you have a tech2 with Saab software? How are you guys diagnosing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a tech2 with Saab software? How are you guys diagnosing?
We are the best new car dealership in Wisconsin so I'd hope so... They hooked it up to something to tell that the ecm was bad, but that's what also told him that I needed a new fuel injector... Which I might have needed but it wasn't the cause of the shake

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Buy a coil off rockauto. Bosch. Replace number 6 and see what happens. How did the spark plug look?

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Also, a NEW ECU might be expensive, but why buy new when you can get a used one and have it programmed for far less?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
What? No. The engine bay gets hot. The coolant tank is know to get brittle and crack. Just replace it. This is a common issue with the V6.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I bought an ECM off ebay, chances are you're going to have a hard time just finding a sport sedan in the junk yard around here. Country Imports is a well known Saab shop in Neosho, WI. They have many parts both new and used and if you want could take a look at your car and diagnose it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Also if you're on Facebook you should join the Milwaukee Saab Club group. We have a big annual meet every year a few random meets in between. There are some people who can help you out on there too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts