SaabCentral Forums banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
P bus also loops through UEC to pick up a connection for AHL/AFL option. ECU and TCM are downstream (from CIM) of UEC on P bus. UEC does not communicate on P bus. That is on I bus.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did swap the fuse box from a working car, couldn't add it with the Tech2. I should add that the check engine light only stopped working recently, and as far as I can tell I haven't changed anything, I didn't want to rule out the possibility that the bulb blew. I'll try and ground it and see if it works. The R8 starter relay should be easy to check, I know that the +X from the ignition switch is working to B58 so I'll check that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
P bus also loops through UEC to pick up a connection for AHL/AFL option. ECU and TCM are downstream (from CIM) of UEC on P bus. UEC does not communicate on P bus. That is on I bus.
yeah, I missed that part.
I’m now leaning with you, a ECU problem.

Found this thread close to what the OP is seeing
Question for the OP. Have you tried SPS’ing the ECU? Curious to know the result.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A million years ago my grandfather had this old Ford that only he could start, he had a routine; pull the choke out, pump the throttle 3 times, put the choke in halfway, turn the key and hit the throttle after 3 seconds, call me old fashioned, but I miss those days. Don't quote me on it, but I think he also walked round the car once, anti-clockwise, and patted his head twice before starting the procedure. I can't rule out the main computer (Ecm) but I can't write it in either. I don't want to try SPS maybe as a last resort. Uec missing on bus and Ecm missing on bus is the focus, The analysis should be simple, each module needs power, ground and data lines, if all those are present then the module is the fault. At the data link connector I have checked Can bus voltage, good, within specs at around 2.4v. I have checked resistance across pin 6 and 14 within range at 60.3 ohms, that would suggest continuity to both ends, assuming the terminating resistor is at each end. I have checked for continuity in wires across the Can bus, Esp module to Ecm all good and data link connector to Ecm, again good. I have confirmed the Ecm has power at b3 from ignition and b1 and b17 from main relay and +30 at b36. I have checked all the fuses in the Uec for power, all good. That only leaves ground, I have no idea how to confirm the Uec and the Ecm have a proper ground, the Uec is grounded at G30a G31 and G33s I have checked all of those on the body, but because they enter underneath the Uec, I can only tell if they are reaching the Uec, I don't know how to confirm they are good in the Uec? The Ecm is grounded only, as far as I can tell, by the casing to the engine, no other grounds are shown, unlike the T8 in the 2.0 93 which has 3 coming in to the Ecm. Even the 2 ground wires attached to the Ecm are not shown as grounds, now I've gone full circle back to the start. So following the analysis I have confirmed power to everything, data lines intact, including I-bus, grounds to just about every module, all good, unconfirmed; Ecm ground and Uec ground. I need to reconfirm G31 to F26 and G30a to F27 under the Uec, although both of those are connected together, and F26 grounds the R11 relay, which I know is working because it supplies power to Fuse 4, and then to B3 on the Ecm.
Does anyone know for sure what the item marked 15 is in this picture, I assumed it was the Uec but it shows a resistor and the symbols that would suggest I bus?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That's the CPU in the UEC. Notice that it has outputs that drive a number of relays.

EDIT: The transistor symbol (in the 15 box) is used in the WIS to denote output from modules.

FWIW, if you go to Electrical->Wiring harness and components->Wiring Diagrams in the WIS, the first item in the long list is definitions of symbols and notation used in the wiring diagrams. The second item explains the lead markings.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I know this doesn’t help much, but here is a picture of where the black/white wire that goes across to the front of the engine connects to.
Wasn’t able to figure out the rear ones yet

I found this thread, similar to what you are seeing
Thread

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I am just about ready to burn this car, I thought I would take your advice and buy a new ECM, I have the EPC installed on my computer so looking up the part number was easy, or so I thought. The 2006 Saab Aero V6 has only one ECM for that year, part number 55560009. I took the old out, part number 55563993 superseded by 55564080. EPC says this is only for 2007 onwards. This is a 20th anniversary convertible manufactured in 2006, looking on some other forums, I find people who had problems trying to get the 2007 ECM to work on a 2006, and visa versa.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Any ECU (except XWD or Opel Z22) will work if cloned with T8Suite. Part number must match to use SPS (Tech 2).

EDIT: This is true for T8. OP has ME9.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Curious, the old ECU, using the Tech2 did it have the correct vin number? That is if you can access it to read the info

if you don’t mind, if we go backward, you said you purchased the “car this way”. What was the original problem/issue?

As Okcrum stated, you can use any ME9 ECU but you will need to write the correct BIN into it. I have done this, tho it took some time reading up on how to do this and buying a interface and having a laptop. Please note, a working ECU makes the whole process easier (to get your BIN file from), not sure yours is.
If needed, I can send you my BIN file from my 06 Aero.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Okcrum a question, if he got a ECU that isn’t correct for his year. He should be able to marry it and see if he can communicate to it (see if it still shows missing on bus).
I know it will not start( should crack?) but should be able to see if it solves his other problem?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Oh, shoot. I forgot this is ME9. Options are limited for this ecu compared to T8 to Tech2 only IIRC. OP is correct about part #, etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Oh, shoot. I forgot this is ME9. Options are limited for this ecu compared to T8 to Tech2 only IIRC. OP is correct about part #, etc.
Any thoughts on my question above?

the more I think about it, should be able to marry it and fully test the system. Everything but having the engine start, due to the different cam sensors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks guys, and yes I did buy this car this way, it was running, but after about 30 minutes it would show the usual esp, traction control failure and occasionally limp mode. Then it wouldn't start for few hours, or maybe if I removed fuse 2. I like to think I'm pretty good judge of character, and when I went to look at this car, the owner seemed like a genuine guy. He suggested I take it for long drive before deciding if I wanted it, and I as didn't know the area well, he suggested a run that would have taken me at least a couple of hours before I would get back. He had obviously looked after it, had all the service records and all the brakes had been replaced within the last couple of hundred kls. I can't believe he would suggested such a long drive if he knew something was wrong with it. But clearly something was, and as for the ECM, I'm confused, my research suggests that only one ECM can be fitted to this car 55560009, but as I said in the previous post, it has 55563993 which is superseded by 55564080 which is only for the 2007 on Aero 2.8. I have talked with him a couple of times since, he seems helpful. I asked if he had any electrical problems with the car in the past, and he said only a new alternator, fitted about 1000 kls ago. No mention of a new or replacement ECM, and as for the alternator; it doesn't look new to me. It would be nice if I could confirm that the ECM is not the right one, and that it shouldn't be working in this car? Again, I'd like to thank you guys for your help, I think, by now, I would have burned this car otherwise.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
If she was running and driving, you have the correct ECM. The incorrect (for a different year) SW will not let the engine run.
Have you checked the ABS module, they are a known weak link. You can by-pass the module with a simple jumper (easy to do), you can search for more information.
Do you have the "new" EMU on hand?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Any thoughts on my question above?
If you can marry the ECU to the car, you should at least get comms to work if that's the problem. I don't know how different a P/N (from original) ECU can be married to the car.

T8Suite rules do not apply to ME9. SPS rules do.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It's also worth noting that the "add" or "marry" is when the VIN and immobilizer data gets written to the ECU (this gets compared to the values in the CIM during start). So if the ECU adds OK, it should operate the motor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The ABS module was rebuilt by Xemodex, and I have tried the bypass, but it didn't start. I still think if I could solve the UEC missing from bus issue, I might find the source of the problem. I called the previous owner yesterday, and he said that at no time while he owned the car did he have the ECM replaced, so it was running for over 5 years with the ECM that is in it now. I still think that's strange, because as I understand it, this ECM 55563993 would have been manufactured after the car. I will check again this morning just to confirm it's date of manufacture. The problem now is, do I buy the one that should be in the car, or has the car been modified to accept the configuration of the 2007 ECM, or was the ECM reprogrammed to fit the 2006 configuration? Again, I think I need to find the source of the UEC missing from bus, or find a correlation between a bad ECM and UEC missing from bus.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The main difference between the two years is the CAM sensors, you can pull one and see the difference or get the p/n off it. That will tell you what “year” engine you got.

To check the SW that was loaded into the ECM, you would need laptop, SW, and adaptor.

There might be one other way to understand the SW in the ECM, can you access the ECM VIA the Tech2? Let me know

As for troubleshooting the UEC, if it was me, being you OHM’d all the wires for the bus. I would remove anything downstream, I believe I listed the pins numbers above. Then try to re-add that module.

Any idea who (which owner) and why the ABS was rebuilt?

41 - 60 of 88 Posts