SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to share this story for a laugh (at my expense).

I bought a set of EBC Red Stuff pads about 6 months ago from placeforbrakes.com. When I started putting them on, one of the clips broke off. I then had to wait for a new set before I could finish the install. When I looked at where the "rivet" is stamped which attaches the clip to the pad, I noticed there wasn't a very large "head" on the rivet to hold the clip in place. Even the second order had the same problem but I was able to use one of the replacement pads. I called the supplier to give them a heads up to EBC in the event they had a bad batch for our vehicle.

Well, six months or so go by and its time for a new set of pads. I tell myself, "hey, I don't want the same problem, so I'll splurge and get the yelllow stuff this time." So what happens next? I get three orders in a row, all with the same rivet issue where the clip pops off!

So the supplier starts feeling pretty bad for me, even calling me on evenings to resolve this issue (props to Luis at placeforbrakes). Finally EBC calls me direct (their US office is in CA) and says they are personally inspecting a set of pads for me and shipping them out ASAP. What happens; the clips are VERY firmluy attached only.......... drumroll please......... the clips are attached backwards! It was a truly don't know to laugh or cry situation. However, in the end EBC made good on the situation and had someone from corporate drive to my house and deliver TWO sets of pads as a way of saying sorry.

I am hoping my experience will result in EBC inspecting the whole lot of pads for our car. I had an A4 and used EBC with no problems before so I really think the issue was specific to my make and model.

If you ever had this problem, or want to avoid it, I would higly recommend you call Luis at placeforbrakes so that he can contact EBC beforehand to make sure they inspect the clips before shipment. I am not one to reccommend any particular vendor, but their customer service was second to none.

·
Registered
650 Posts
wow, EBC actually drove to your house?

I have always used ebc's for my pads, but that is some great customer service.

customer service imho makes or breaks a company!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably took them about two hours to get to my house but it works for me! I even offered to drive there. I was hoping for a tour :D

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I replaced my rear and was going to replace the front, but like you the clips were broken. The distributor in City of Industry was a jerk and after I returned them to EBC with a RMA I never got my $$ back. I went to my Credit card company and requested an intervention, and EBC refused to pay saying they never got the returned pads back. I had hand delivered them back to the retailer I had picked them up from. I will soon be needing new pads but they will not be EBC, I'll find another ceramic pad manufacture and pay twice as much if I have to to avoid EBC.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
That's nice they took care of you like that.

OTOH, a banner advertiser here on our board said they stopped carrying EBC due to problems--interesting.

And IMHO, the 06' Aero brakes are quite the pita in getting proper parts, etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I used EBC yellow stuff on my last two C6 Corvettes and was very happy with them. Wish they made pads for my Turbo X's 345 mm fronts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts