SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i would buy it if it wasnt 3000 miles away. i want another spg, i should probably finish mine first though :lol:

i would like to see this one go to a good home...hint hint to somebody here...

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree, its a great looking car, but with a salvage title, I woudlnt touch it. Unless you;ve got a second SPG and going to use it for parts.

To each his own.

Drew

·
Registered
491 Posts
I meant just take the vin and plates off of my existing saab and just slap them on the spg. it would be illegal, but no one would know. And if my insurance company asked, I could just say I painted my car black.

EDIT: I prob would try to do it the legal way 1st :cheesy:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Salvage title or not, the interior is in fantastic condition, and it never hurts to have spare parts. I could use some new leather...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
SHame on the title. That looks to be very beautiful car.

If there was no structural issues it would be a shame to part a car like that.

I hope someone will take it and then take good care of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
chk out the speedometer

no doubt interior's in good shape but look at the speedometer in those pics. in one it indicates 125mph, another one the car is going 70.

that's a prob with speedo cable / odometer.

this mileage + the salvage title = definite mysteries

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't think about the speedometer cable and accurate mileage...Although I do know I had an old Volvo where the Speedometer would work VERY seldomly yet the odometer would keep accurate mileage driven. I think they problem in my old Volvo was the speedo gauge itself and not the cable, so maybe that is the case here.

If I REALLY wanted this car, I think it would be worth it to have a body shop and mechanic look over the car for like an hour or two and look for frame damage, flood damage, etc. etc. for 200 bucks I think it would be worth it.

It would be a shame to part this car out. I do know that Salvage can mean so many dumb things, esp. on a car like this where it isn't worth a whole lot. I mean heck, if you cause 3 grand in damage to the front clip and front 2 quarter panels, which is easy to do for 3 grand, and "totalled" it it would technically be salvage...which is dumb.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
AlbertaDrew said:
I agree, its a great looking car, but with a salvage title, I woudlnt touch it. Unless you;ve got a second SPG and going to use it for parts.
But what's that "salvage title" actually _mean_ over there, in real live practical terms? Does it mean you ain't going to be able to use the car?

Over here, if a car's bent beyond the financial value, it gets assigned a write-off category.

Cat D means lightly damaged, and can be put back on the road easily.
Cat C means a bit more damage, and needs a vehicle identity check before it can be put back on the road.

Neither of those are, to all intents and purposes, important to "us" - If the car's good, the car's good, it's just got a slightly hinky history. Hell, by 17yo it's the rare car that hasn't had a slight bingle at some stage, right? Enough damage to put a 15yo car to Cat C would be a minor repair on a 2yo car.

Cat B, though, means the car's structurally fubar and it can only be broken by a licenced dismantler. Parts can be sold, but only by the licenced dismantler.

Cat A means "just crush the thing now, whole" - again, licenced dismantler only. No parts can be removed. I think they tend to remove any dead occupants first, though...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toomany2cvs:

I totally agree with you. I have a buddy in CA. who sells salvaged cars after he fixes them up but he has to sell them as "salvaged title" A lot of times they are just cars that are damaged more than their financial value...which makes sense. He works mostly on Hondas...so if you take a 10 year old Honda which is worth say 5 grand, and that Honda rear ended someone and both airbags went off, the hood is bent, the front quarter panels are buckled and the headlights/grill, bumper are toast...technically it is toast because just the airbags alone cost like a grand to fix.

Odds are though the frame would be fine, it just cosmetically needed some TLC.

If I were buying a brand new SAAB salvaged for a lot of money, I would understand, but I can't imagine this car will sell for more than 4 grand. 4 grand is a damn bargain for a cool little car like this. With any 17 year old car, who knows what you are getting anyways.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My Last '86 SPG was a salvage title becuase of paint damage!

A Mazda Miata was set on fire next to it (by an angry ex-boyfriend of the owner) and the heat bubbled the paint and melted the right vent cover. This was enough for the insurance company to "write it off" It was bought back from the insurance company by the previous owner and was sanded down and totally repainted.

It doesn't take much to have a salvage title on these cars, it's not likely it's been at the bottom of a lake for a few days or anything!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
not a bad looking SPG... would be a steal at the current bid...

I thought my dash was bad...but that one...the cracks go all the way to the edge!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My current 900 has a salvage title from California as a result of being a donation as well. It failed the emissions test and was deemed illegal to sell until fixed, so I guess the original owner gave up on it. It's never been in a wreck, except for me hitting a pole the other day! :x

Apparently in California, they assume that if you're donating it, it must be a real piece of ****.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mag-X said:
My current 900 has a salvage title from California as a result of being a donation as well. It failed the emissions test and was deemed illegal to sell until fixed, ... Apparently in California, they assume that if you're donating it, it must be a real piece of ****.
Hah, that sucks man. It seems like a bicycle could fail emissions in Cali!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
jglavin said:
Hah, that sucks man. It seems like a bicycle could fail emissions in Cali!
Depends on if you ate high octane Taco Bell before the emissions test or not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts