SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a way to easily remove the pin from the bottom of the distributor shaft. I used a motorcycle chain remover and what appeared to be (or is) an exhaust stud spacer. No hammering or need for someone else to hold the distributor.

The pin went back in without the need for the exhaust spacer.

This was part of a distributor repair on an '85 Turbo distributor I bought from the wrecking yard years ago. I used it for a while until the connector came loose resulting in the Hall wheel slicing one of the wires.

Question: After I cleaned the housing with a bore brush, I noticed there was something in there obstructing the bore. I pulled out this little felt (or horsehair?) pad. If I put it back in, then I was unable to insert the shaft. I assume it has some sort of lubrication function. Do you think everything will get oiled properly without it? Or maybe it is a seal?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Sorry, I don't know about that pad. I didn't remove the pad on mine. I figured there weren't any parts I could replace to stop the oil leak, so I found a newer distributor to rebuild that has a regular oil seal. I hope you get it back in or working somehow.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 900Power, your previous posts on distributor rebuilding were helpful to me in completing this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had trouble removing the pin until I followed jim mesthene's advice and used a real pin punch of the correct size. $8.99 for a set from harbor freight. A few taps and it came out and went in easily. I replaced the seal and no more leak. Search my username and you will find the thread, it was only a couple months ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts