SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Saabs, like many European cars, are full of hidden, helpful and little features that make life that much easier for us. For example, if you put the key in my BMW's door lock and turn it toward the unlock side all the windows will lower. It also has tons of other little things that reinforce why you paid the premium for a European car. But I degress to our Saabs....

What features do our 9-5s have that follow that theme? I'll start off with a few:

If you turn the car off, open the door and flash the high beams, the lights will "follow you home" for 30 seconds.

The ACC is full of hidden features. You can programme it to do TONS of things. For example, you can set it to automatically switch to recric mode when it senses you're sitting in traffic. This is so you don't fill the car with fumes. There are more.

The sound systems can be set to meet your person preferences too. Speed dependent volume, initial volume level, ect.

Okay guys, keep this going!

·
Registered
182 Posts
natijoe said:
How do you operate the speed dependent volume?
Hold TCP button and then press "Power" on the radio. Then operate ">>" and "<<" buttons, to get to that feature.

I think it's on Page 97 of Saab manual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi in Oz the button isn't marked "tcp" but I can't rememebr what it is. I'll look tonight

I hav emy unit on recir at low speed, but beware if you do a lot of city driving you will wear out the recirc control arm. Another 95 owner at my work has this problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Found it. p. 101. Hold down the WB button when you turn the radio power on. Use the search >> to navigatd to SP D V and use volume control to turn on or off. Then wait 10 seconds or press Band to exit...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think, as you drive faster the volume is supposed to increase to compensate for road noise... That's my guess.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you hold the night panel button after you turn the car off, you can choose between the alarm being in a "full armed" mode or "doors only" mode...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wish I could buy a tech 2 but I bet they cost an arm and a leg. So many things can be changed with it. They should come standard with a Saab purchase!! :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
If you start to close your sunroof, as long as you keep your finger on the sunroof button, you can shut down your engine and the roof will continue to close.

If you have the V6 you have the spare heater option when the engine is off

If you press and hold the lock/unlock button next the shifter, it will set the alarm off(presuming the engine is off I think) Same thing on the key fob.

If you need to access your spare tire, the handle on the cover hooks onto the rubber channel at the trunk seal so the cover doesn't fall on your head.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Kermit said:
Rolling locks when you hit 8mph.. (Tech 2)
It starts at some model year (I believe 2002); I tried to get that enabled on MY 2000 with Tech2, but couldn't find this option.

Ezydusit said:
I wish I could buy a tech 2 but I bet they cost an arm and a leg. So many things can be changed with it. They should come standard with a Saab purchase!
Well, you can get one. It will cost you about $4000-$5000 for the tool (generic GM) plus some special adapters and software specifically for Saab ;-)

Oh, and to add to the list:
-when you put the car in reverse while your windshield wipers are on, your rear wiper turns on automatically (wagon):D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
speed sensitive volume is a must!

you can also set the ACC to have the defroster automatically go on when the outside temp is below 40*F (or thereabouts).

the emergency heater option is pretty trick. thankfully, haven't needed to use it yet!

question: is there a way to keep the radio on after you have taken the key out of the ignition, but before you open a door?

also, i didn't know about the headlight follow feature! thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
One thing that makes me mad is the press once unlock 1 door press twice for all doors.. so when I stop the car only my door unlocks and I still need to press unlock for my gf to get it out.. quite annoying.. I called Saab they've told me they've tried to fix that before but never found a solution to it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
MainLineSaab said:
After you activate the windscreen washer the wipers will sweep again momentarely after the procress is finished to get the drips.
works for the rear wiper on wagons/estates too!

J

·
0 Posts
baco99 said:
question: is there a way to keep the radio on after you have taken the key out of the ignition, but before you open a door?
No, but you can turn the radio on by pressing the volume button on the radio. I believe it will stay on for 10 minutes before shutting off again

1 - 20 of 332 Posts