SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
My much-loved '04 95 Aero was recently totaled. I'm looking at '10/11 95 Aeros. Seems like they're few and far between, and most are on the East coast. I'm looking at one that I'm ready to pull the trigger on, but unsure as to the normal look of an East coast undercarriage.
Looks to me like the front arms and hardware have been replaced, the rear suspension looks pretty awful. Just wondering if that is typical surface rust for a vehicle in that area with 100k miles, or if it has other issues.

Any insight appreciated!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Very typical appearance for the northeast. I don't see anything awful on the rear suspension, just typical surface rust...especially for a 10 yr old vehicle. The exhaust looks much rougher IMHO as that's where the rust will eat right through the thinner material and cause a leak, especially with the repeated heat cycling; also whatever heat shield is on the driver's side.

Expect every nut/bolt & fastener to be seized if you plan on working on a car from the Northeast btw...in reality the number usually falls to 40 - 60% but it always hurts more when optimism gets crushed. More than once the majority of time spent on a fix has been dealing with a snapped bolt in a small hole, in a tight space, etc, etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very typical appearance for the northeast. I don't see anything awful on the rear suspension, just typical surface rust...especially for a 10 yr old vehicle. The exhaust looks much rougher IMHO as that's where the rust will eat right through the thinner material and cause a leak, especially with the repeated heat cycling; also whatever heat shield is on the driver's side.

Expect every nut/bolt & fastener to be seized if you plan on working on a car from the Northeast btw...in reality the number usually falls to 40 - 60% but it always hurts more when optimism gets crushed. More than once the majority of time spent on a fix has been dealing with a snapped bolt in a small hole, in a tight space, etc, etc.
Thanks for the info! I have a few more to call on to check availability that are not on the east coast. Lots of Turbo4's out there available, but not interested in those unless I find one with the XWD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2011 9-5 Turbo4 Premium and that is pretty much what mine looks like from PA. It's mostly surface rust. My 02 9-5 is just now starting to show significant body rust but I attribute a lot of that to the fact that the car had to be parked on the street for almost 5 years through the winters. These cars really do seem to be meant to handle the beating winter throws at them. But like Bob said the time when rust is the worst is when taking anything apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts