SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Well 1 in the AM here...

I have been up to my parents with the family for the weekend. Whilst there I have a mate who runs a breakers. He has at the moment a 1996 900 na. It is a poverty spec model SID1 and no aircon ect. However it does have the later lower arm setup. Basically what you can get at Genuine.

So the question is my mate is willing to drag the 900 out and put the car on its side for me to make access easy to the components.

So the question is...

Do the arms bolt straight on to an early setup like I have or will the subframe have to come along aswell?? Has anybody upgraded the front setup and purchased it from genuine? Did the arms just bolt on?

I know the AR bar and drop links are different but they will come off easy enough.

Also.

Does this year of car have the later slightly larger brake discs up front?

My 94 model has 284 mm discs and the later 96 onwards had 288mm but the hubs were a different diameter so you would have to either turn a couple of mm of the inside of the disc hat to fit my current hubs or remove the hubs and turn the hub down this method needs new bearings upon refitting.

I ask as I can also get the front legs with the hub ect and fit Vectra 300mm discs with long reach bolt on caliper brackerts. As in what Raggy has done. See here

cheers all.

Dead

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Does this year of car have the later slightly larger brake discs up front?
From what I can tell from the Saab EPC CD and from the Haynes manual, the larger brakes appeared from '97. When a part changes in mid year, like the steering rack for example, EPC references the VIN from which the change appeared. There is no VIN for the brakes, just year of manufacture.

The hubs do not appear to change part numbers in '97, but the backing plates (shields) and the calipers changed along with the rotor size, front and back.

4839122, rear hub
4568192, front hub

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
AS far as I know Dead, all that changed with the suspension setup is the control arms themselves and where the front antiroll bar bolts up to them. If you took those control arms and swapped them out you would be fine i believe. I hope someone else chimes in to confirm this but im pretty sure all you have to change are the control arms, there are no antiroll bar or subframe changes.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sethsev7n said:
AS far as I know Dead, all that changed with the suspension setup is the control arms themselves and where the front antiroll bar bolts up to them. If you took those control arms and swapped them out you would be fine i believe. I hope someone else chimes in to confirm this but im pretty sure all you have to change are the control arms, there are no antiroll bar or subframe changes.
The front AR bar does change. On the early setup on my 94 model the AR bar attaches via end drop links that attach to the radius arm. So it does not actually meet up with the new drop links placed on the lower arms.

On the later setup the AR bar attaches to the lower arm via a different type of link. The two bars are not are not interchangable. I guess you could leave tho old radius arms on but there would be a hole in them from the old drop link attaching point.

Early drop link....

Later drop link.....

This is the early lower arm. You can see no Drop link hole. The Drop links attach to the radius arms.

Later version. With Drop link mounting hole.

I was looking at The stuff on Genuine. It seems that the later bars will be ok.

Cheers

Dead

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
well dead, according to the EPC the subframe is the same on a 94 model as on a 98 model (same part number) :lol: so you should be good to go ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts