SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of you US owners will do, I took the opportunity to wash and wax my car on this long weekend. This was the second time I used EagleOne NanoWax, and I am very disappointed once again.

The wax goes on very smooth. That is not the problem. It nearly impossible to take off. The first time I struggled with removing the wax, and blamed it on the humidity. Today was perfect waxing weather, and I ran into the same troubles. I am tired and sore and there is still wax on my car. :evil:

So that is the last time I use that product. Its back to Mothers for me. I'm going to apply a spray wax tomorrow which will hopefully give me another layer to my black, and remove all the excess wax from today's little struggle. I'll try to get some pics of her infront of the sunset tomorrow.

Sorry, just had to vent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man I clean a lot of cars meguiares is the best wax period. Try the gold series liquid wax or the new tech wax both go on easy and come off easy.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Me too I moved from autoglym to Meguires :cool:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
timmehhhhhh said:
Do you do it by hand or using an orbital buffer?
By hand.

And I tried to use some spray on wax (both Mothers and Meguiars) to see that helped, but it just streaked! Ahhh!

I gave up on the exterior until next time, where I will be using the Mothers Reflections stuff exclusively. Did a quick once over on the interior and I'm happy. Though, I couldn't get the windows to stop from streaking either... just my luck, eh?

Time to make a trip to the auto parts store.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Josh, you will get better results if you use a clay bar on your car before going to the Mothers wax. It will get all the residues off of other wax/cleaning products you've used, and give you a much better shine. Its a bit time consuming but well worth the effort when you stand back and admire the results. :cool:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kermit said:
Josh, you will get better results if you use a clay bar on your car before going to the Mothers wax. It will get all the residues off of other wax/cleaning products you've used, and give you a much better shine. Its a bit time consuming but well worth the effort when you stand back and admire the results. :cool:
Thanks for the tip. I actually used Mothers Pre-Wax which is supposed to do similar. Sadly, my car looked better before I put the wax on :cry:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Me too I moved from autoglym to Meguires :cool:
Any particular reasons Chris? I've been using all Autoglym products for the last few years on previous cars and now the 95. With the 95 being dark blue i must say i notice some 'dust' from the polish that blows around after buffing that i never noticed on the silver Merc i had before, but apart from that it seems great.

Got the royal badge on it eh? Must be top class:roll:

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I switched from Autoglym to Meguiars, i found the application and removal easier than Autoglym with no dusty residue afterwards. I used the Meguiars "quik clay" first, then the "gold class" wax and the cloth slides off the bonnet its sooo smooth. :cool:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
so you guys used Meguiars and Mothers?
Just use the spray on wax?

sorry just asking. I don't even have that much room in my "driveway", let alone a hose. So i'll probably head over to a friend's house and do it on his driveway =)

just asking what waxes and stuff to use, so i will know next time :cheesy:

~Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
Surface prep is critical to a great finish. Claying is an excellent way to get a clean finish. It is time consuming, but by following the directions on the box, the learning curve is very short. After claying, you should use a polish to remove any marring, scratches, and swirls. There are numerous products out there - 3m and Meguiars products yield great results and are readily available. You should use a machine buffer to apply polishes over an entire car, but small areas can be done by hand.

I've also discovered that the 9-5 likes to hold water in between the panels. That excess moisture in the waxes and polishes can cause streaking and make products difficult to remove. Be sure to dry the car completely before poliching and waxing.

Personally, I really love Meguiars NXT tech wax. It's actually a synthetic paint sealant that you apply fairly thin and comes off easily, and lasts for a very long time (around 2.5 - 3 months). It's very forgiving if you put on too much, and I've done my 03 Aero in under an hour. NXT can also be topped with a good wax (wait at least 12 hours for NXT to cure) for stellar results. Be sure not to use a cleaner wax on top of NXT though - that would remove most of the NXT.

Have fun and Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
ok, so buy a clay product, That shouldn't be hard to find right?
Then buy Meguiars NXT tech wax. Then follow the directions...
but before i apply the wax, i should buy products that would seal up the scratches, like 3m?

Is this all correct?

thanks
~Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
Claybar kits can be found at most auto parts stores, sometimes at Wal-mart as well. I've had good luck with Mother's claybar kit, and it comes with a bottle of the lubricant; cost is about $12-15. Keep a few soft, clean microfiber cloths handy (and keep cloths and the clay off the ground) to wipe off the car as you go. Do small sections, and you may have to go over some spots a few times. The clay bar should "float" or glide easily on the paint surface; you will see spots disappear and may even hear it lifting contaminants off the paint. If it begins to grab or skip, just add a quick spritz of lube and continue. Also, be sure to fold, roll and flatten the clay frequently. Since you will likely be polishing as well, there is no need to wash after claying.

NXT does a good job of hiding light scratches as it contains fillers, but these will reappear as the sealant breaks down over time. Most polishes also contain fillers, but will do a better job in removing and hiding these than NXT alone. A decent polish with NXT after (and perhaps a good waxing on top of the NXT) should give you terrific results.

My time of under one hour that I mentioned is just the NXT step. Figure 1 hr - 1 hr 15 mins to clay (you're learning curve is included), at least 1.5 hours polishing, and about 45 mins for NXT. This seems to be a lot of time, but after you've completed these steps, washing and a quick coat of wax or NXT will take much less time. You should only need to clay and polish once a year - if that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts