SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my Kumho Ecsta ASX all season tires, because they were junk. Screamed in every corner, horrible in the rain, it was just a tire with a lot of ick. Since I have winter tires I went ahead and got summer tires. My choice: the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. This tires is apparently a new tire (like a year old tops) and is Dunlop's flagship tire (they even have a screen saver for it). It has totally changed the character of the car. Where before it felt like I was fighting it through corners, now things are smooth and perfect. They just flow amazingly. They won't scream no matter how hard you try. You could do a quarter mile long burn out (if it was possible) and they wouldn't make a squeak. The road feel is great too. It makes my Arc feel sporty. The size I am using is 225/50 R16, which is slightly different from the 215/55 R16 stock on the Arc, a little wider, but all works perfectly. For anyone interested in getting more from your tires, these are highly recommended. :cool:

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
This Dunlop along with the Goodyear and Avon were the tires I had selected to replace my Rossos when necessary. But 10,000 miles and only 25% used !!:)
So will be waiting for the Dunlops...

It's good that you find you have made the right choice.:D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
black_linear said:
How is the price? I assume they are fairly expensive?
I paid $147 each from TireRack.

I was concerned about Dunlops because I don't like Goodyear, and I know that Goodyear and Dunlop have some kind of relationship, but the tires are made in Japan by Sumitumo, just like a proper Dunlop should be. :cheesy:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
interesting in reading your comments as I have this same tire on my company car here in Brasil. the car is based upon the Opel Astra only manufactured by the GM Chevrolet plant here so it is a Chevy Astra.

I also am quite impressed with them. Mine were manufactured in Germany though. Good to hear they're a decent alternative for the OEM tires.

Jaime

·
Registered
667 Posts
I cant really tell from the photos at tirerack.com but those tires just arent low profile enough for me. I really hate a big tire on a sporty car. How do they look profile wise?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karnifex said:
I cant really tell from the photos at tirerack.com but those tires just arent low profile enough for me. I really hate a big tire on a sporty car. How do they look profile wise?
They look fine, they are slightly lower profile on my car than stock, as thomjam pointed out, but like for the Vector, they would be the same profile as you have now if you chose to get the same size. They don't look thick, like some tires can.

I just came back from a quick bolt over to Jersey (where gas I found out is also 45 cents less per gallon!) and these tires really handle everything very well. I had them up to about 115 and they were smooth and straight. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts