SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p Hello,recently bought my saab aero 93 ss, well pleased with the power bit piddled off with a noisy door ,squecks an rattles :( but i will read thru this excellent forum .no doubt there is a cure in heresomewhere:lol:

Can any one tell me if this engine has a turbo dump valve and if so where is it normally located. all replies greatfully recieved.
thanks regards martin.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
A Warm Welcome

Good morning the Mumbles... Sorry about the gruff reception you got from the other side of the pond. I promise that you will find this forum can only get better for you. Dump valve - am far from a mechanic but what I have read here it is built into the turbo. You can try a "search" or wait until other saabists from Leicester or Bristol will be able put us both wise. Do they still have trams at the Mumbles?
Cheers from Paris.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Most production turbocharged engines are fitted with a BOV, to get rid of excessive turbo boost pressure when the throttle is closed. The valve itself is typically a shiny three- way affair fitted between an intercooler and the air inlet hose to the turbocharger. You may also find a small hose leading from the top of the valve to the inlet plenim on the engine. Inside the valve is a rubber diaphragm and a steel spring.

The BOV has two positions.

When the throttle is open, pressure below the diaphragm is equal to the pressure above that comes through that small hose as mentioned above . As the pressures are equal, the spring holds the diaphragm in place, stopping pressure escaping.

A closed throttle,means reduced pressure to top of the diagragm, moving it away from its seating, allowing the excess pressure to escape. Re-opening the throttle sets the diaphragm back to square one.

HTH

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
vulcanbomber said:
Can any one tell me if this engine has a turbo dump valve and if so where is it normally located. all replies greatfully recieved.
thanks regards martin.
The active discussions on this topic are always in the performance forum.

The 9-3 does NOT have a dump valve. It has a bypass valve, a.k.a. recirculating valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:p yo, thanks for the replies an comments ,looks like im gonner spent some hard earned on a bov , just to show of you know ;) ;) . the trams at mumbles stopped 1 year before i was born , all thats there now is a prom and cyclepath /motorway!!!! lol.progress makes you think??

thanks martin.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
vulcanbomber said:
looks like im gonner spent some hard earned on a bov
Martin,

I just want to make you aware that there is a rabid discussion on BOV's currently taking place in the performance forum. You will definitely want to read up before you spend your money. There have been a lot of problems with BOV's on this car for the past two years. The Trionic system does not like them.

There is a special (yellow) spring you need from Forge to get their valve to work. Frankly, I'm not sure this is the final solution, but so far, so good.

Just to warn you, stock BOV's have sent some members cars into "limp mode," which required a trip to the dealer to clear error codes.

This is the performance forum for the 9-3SS
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

1 - 8 of 8 Posts